• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello (talk about original titles...)

daveb75

Er... um... hello folks. Seems to be the done thing in here to yatter on for a bit, which is something I don't have trouble with. Stopping is another matter, as is thinking up any sort of imaginative username... anyhow, I'm David (or Dave - I really don't mind which), 27 years old and from Worcestershire in England. (Very nice county, not [very] far from Hay-on-Wye; come and visit soon. Can I have my money now, Mr Tourist Board bloke?) :D

Anyhow, on to books. I count myself enormously fortunate to have been brought up in a family who loved books, and it certainly rubbed off - making a quick estimate, I reckon I have around 5,000 in the house these days. All sorts, too - looking up at the shelf above me right now, I can see Asimov, Conan Doyle, Patrick O'Brien, Ellis Peters, Dervla Murphy, MRD Foot, Captain Scott and Marcel Pagnol. Oh, and the extremely well-thumbed "Four-Wheel Drift", a guide to the PC game "Grand Prix Legends", about which I can go on at inordinate length. ;)

However, that's for another forum. Here I'm supposed to be going on at inordinate length about books, so I suppose the next thing to do is to give you lot some sort of idea of what I like. It's hard to compile a list of favourite books, but here are half a dozen that come to mind at the moment:

Geoffrey Willans & Ronald Searle, "Down With Skool" (and the other nigel molesworth (sic) books)
Carl Sagan, "The Demon-Haunted World"
Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"
Lindsey Davis, the Falco series
Rosemary Sutcliff, "Heroes and History" (a wonderful school textbook about British heroes, long out of print)

You probably get the idea. And yes, I know there are only five titles there. That's because, although I don't really have a "top six" list, I do have an out-and-out number one, and that book is Watership Down. I find it amazing how many people still dismiss this masterpiece (not a word I use lightly, but entirely appropriate here) as a "kids' story about fluffy bunnies". I see that there's a review section on this site, so I won't go into huge detail here, but suffice it to say that of course it qualifies as a classic: the honour is not remotely in doubt.

Blimey, talk about rabbiting on! (Pun sort-of intended... :p)

Cheers,
David.

Well, David if you're in to rabbiting on about books this is the place to be. Glad to meet another that couldn't ever get that 500 words or less thing down.

I've never read Watership Down but (please don't throw things at the screen) I did enjoy the DVD. Its far and away from the stuff I'd watch with my kids. Some of the bunnies might be fluffy, indeed cute, but none of the fluffy bunnies I ever saw staged a revolt and started a new state. Some of those guys make even Benjamin Bunny's Dad look like a wimp.

See you around!

(BTW, is it War-Chester-Shire or Wooster-sher? Sorry, always wanted to know that.)

'Tis "Wooster-sher". Same goes for "Gloster-sher", "Lester-sher" and so on. Also for their county towns. The one notable exception is Cirencester, which is "siren-sester" for some reason. No Board of Geographic Names over here, y'see! ;)

I wouldn't dream of getting at you over the Watership Down DVD. It's actually a pretty good stab at what is a very hard book to film. Of course, getting 400+ pages into 90 minutes entails a great deal of snipping, which makes some scenes very hard to understand unless you've read the book. For example, the precise times at which various rabbits call Hazel "Hazel-rah" are very significant in the book, but in the film we only get two instances of it, one of which is based on a passage that isn't even in most American editions of the novel!

Hmm... is that a "Film Adaptations" forum I see before me? ;)

Cheers,
David.

Back