• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help A 5th Grader With Her Antonyms...

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Carlos-

Her teacher gave the task of finding antonyms for the list of words below. She is having tons of problems locating the antonyms for each word assigned. Please help.

These are the words that need antonyms:

lavatory
ilk
padlock
simmered
vermin
urchin
fasten
paddle
glum

She needs the antonyms for each of the words above. Thanks so much for your help.

Her mother and I have (of course) tried all sorts of media, nothing. That's why I created this thread. Her mother decided to talk to the teacher face-to-face regarding the difficulty of finding antonyms for this particular list. They just do not exist.

lavatory - mud puddle
ilk - opposite
padlock - key
simmered - shivered
vermin - pet
urchin - angel
fasten - untie
paddle - reward
glum - happy

I'm very sorry there are no existing antonyms to those words. Her teacher should be paddled.

lavatory - are you kidding???
ilk - unique
padlock - key
simmered - froze
vermin -
urchin - spoiled?
fasten - unfasten
paddle - (verb or noun?)
glum - giddy

What a STUPID list. Hope you have a parent/teacher conference soon.

lavatory - mud puddle
ilk - opposite
padlock - key
simmered - shivered
vermin - pet
urchin - angel
fasten - untie
paddle - reward
glum - happy

I'm very sorry there are no existing antonyms to those words. Her teacher should be paddled.

Thanks! I sent the list to the girl's mother just now. Thanks again!

Her mother and I have (of course) tried all sorts of media, nothing. That's why I created this thread. Her mother decided to talk to the teacher face-to-face regarding the difficulty of finding antonyms for this particular list. They just do not exist.

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_smileys_rofl.gif

Oh, AquaBlue. You so crazy.

Everything post you write in regards to my my replies is ALWAYS so negative. Do you hate me that much?

They do NOT exist. Show me where they exist? I've looked and they do not exist. How Alix found the answer is weird. Did you read the list of odd words spark?

How you got be moderator is beyond me. Someone fucked up big time by handing you such a responsibly. You are part of the problem. You are suppose to the cool the engines - warn all those who keep hound me. Instead you take part. You are truly a moderator spark. You're just a menace.

Everything post you write in regards to my my replies is ALWAYS so negative. Do you hate me that much?

Nah, dude. I don't hate you. Don't read malice into places it's not present.

They do NOT exist. Show me where they exist? I've looked and they do not exist. How Alix found the answer is weird. Did you read the list of odd words spark?

They surely exist, else Alix and WriterJohnB would never have found them.

Antonym: a word having a meaning opposite to that of another word.

I agree with WriterJohnB's list except maybe I would say that another antonym of lavatory is kitchen.

How you got be moderator is beyond me. Someone fucked up big time by handing you such a responsibly. You are part of the problem. You are suppose to the cool the engines - warn all those who keep hound me. Instead you take part. You are truly a moderator spark. You're just a menace.

All I will say is that you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

You do realise that it's in the nature of language that not all words come with a list of predefined synonyms and antonyms, right? Language evolves out of use. I'm guessing Alix and John did what the teacher expected the fifth-graders to do: used their brains and their knowledge of the English language.

Personally I think it sounds like a brilliant assignment: rather than give them a question they can answer by googling for five seconds, the teacher has come up with something that forces them to think about the words they use and what they mean and come up with their own answers. Your niece is lucky to have a teacher like that.

I did the Google deal - no dice. Beer tell Sparks to stop putting me down. Please. Every time I post (anything) he brings me down. Enough already. Abusing me is getting old and it is undeserving. How much longer must I endure this treatment? Please. Pretty please with sugar on top. No more please. Let's be respectful and leave the past where it belong. If I need correction you can relay your opinion in a fair manner. Please Sparks, please.

This fits in the spirit of the thread.

MTE.

Aqua, we're all adults here. It's hardly my place to "tell" Sparkchaser to do anything. People have tried enough times to explain to you that the issue isn't something you said 5 years ago and has since moved on from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back