• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help finding this book

murphyz

Hi all,

A friend was wanting to find a book, that she thinks is a sci-fi novel, and she can only describe the basic start as thus...

In a society where financial credit is all-important, a man runs out of money. His apartment doors and windows seal him in automatically, and he's just allowed a few minutes of phone calls to try to re-establish a line of credit, otherwise the phone's cut off too, they leave him a few months and come and wash out the apartment.

Any ideas which novel/short story it might be?

Cheers

Mxx

I may be totally wrong here, but could it be the Philip K. Dick short story, Ubik? It's been awhile since I've read it, but I do remember the apartment not letting the protagonist out because he is behind in the rent. That's just the beginning of the story, though and he does get out, with help, I think.

I also remember seeing some short film on TV where the entire story takes place in an apartment where a man is refused exit by the apartment because he doesn't have any more credit. He doesn't make it out.

Funny you should mention that as someone on my forum mentioned PK Dick, a short story but couldn't remember the title. Coinidence?

I'll look into it and let you know, thanks.

Mxx

Back