• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help! Virus problem

Dawn

kickbox
Ok, so this is way of the topics of books, but I'm desperate.
I have this virus that I thought I cleaned, but it's still giving my problems. Does anyone know a good forum for such things?

Just in case someone here might be familiar with dealing with viruses, I'll describe my problem. It's trojan called Downloader-W and affects Internet explorer. It brings up pop up windows over and over again until I get an error message that tells me my resources are dangerously low (or something like that). I have popup killer, which will sometimes kill it before it gets going, but sometimes it can't keep up. One time it logged 250 popups.

It's driving me crazy.

Help.

The site it keeps

Hi Dawn,

First get hold of a good antivirus prog and firewall - something like Norton Internet Security 2002 (Norton Antivirus and Personal Firewall) should be OK. See if that will help to get rid of the thing. The Symantec Website should also have some useful info.

If all else fails, then a system re-install may have to be done. Hopefully not, but ask in here if you need some more help.

Good luck :)

Darren.

If you think you still have the virus, and you haven't successfully gotten rid of it, I'd suggest you call a tech Right Away to have them come clean your computer!!

And don't send any of your friends any email until it's cleaned... just send them to your enemies:D LOL

Don't panic

It's not the end of the world, although (as TownBear suggests) it would be a good idea to avoid sending emails - but you'd probably already figured that out.

Darren has supplied the link I was going to, and your best bet is to follow it. Unless the trial download is enough to sort you out (which it might be), you will have to shell out some reddies. However, on the plus side in this case, you're lucky that you live in America; sometimes it makes online payment less hassle.

Tobytook

Thanks

I visited the Symantic website as suggested and ran the cleaner, but I'm still having the problem. This is the second cleaner that I ran. I let my Mcafee anti-virus program expire, which was stupid on my part. I followed all the instructions on that site, found the mentioned files and deleted them, found the files in my registry and deleted those. <sigh> I would hate to have to re-install Windows. Not only is it a pain, but something always goes wrong. I have BellSouth Fastaccess which never re-installs correctly.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I hope this a lesson for anyone that doesn't have updated anti-virus software. I'm fortunate that it didn't wipe out my hard drive or corrupt my system files.

Thanks for your help.

maybe it's best if u pay through the net for the subscription... i dont know how much McAfee is, but Norton which i have have is like $5.00 CDN.

pay for the subscription renewal and get the updated virus deffinitions and run the scan on the puter.... it will find any virus's and clean them out

otherwise, find some free virus program on the internet and download it

I'd be very cautious about entering credit card information using a computer that has a virus/trojan on it. Buy the software from a shop - they may even have a tech dept to sort it out for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Darren.

Good Point!! Do it on someone else's computer!! Either way.... get your virus deffinitions update immediately! lol

Thanks, guys. It's been frustrating to say the least. Just about every time I look for a solution on the web, I encounter the virus and have to try to stop the popups from taking over or reboot and try again.

I ran two other online virus scans and nothing comes up. They say I'm clean. Go figure.

I'll let you know what happens in the continuing saga.

Get rid of Outlook and IE

This may help in the future:

Always use Netscape browser and mailclient! ;)

/Holger

Because they are never a trouble when those email-viruses are alerted. Outlook is known to be a security-hole. And you never know what IE does in the background ... :mad:

Viruses are mostly designed to infect through Outlook and IE.

Ok, it may be luck, but I have never had problems with viruses, I always use Netscape. But I think IE-users will report the same. ;)

/Holger

and ur right, i have a programming friend that has told me about quite a few security issues thro IE.... buffer overflows and other things.

NS rulez:D :cool:

I may have to try Netscape again. I used it years ago and preferred the layout of IE. I'll give it another try.

But . . . give up Outlook? Ouch.

Originally posted by Dawn
But . . . give up Outlook? Ouch.

I like the Netscape-mail better (and I use Lotus Notes at work :eek: ), but everyone has become familiar with some kind of own tool ...

/Holger

ya... netscape mail... luv it!

i use outlook, outlook express, and netscape, all for different email addy's... netscape i find best

is alllll personal preference

I downloaded Netscape and it's working great! No more creepy popups opening over and over and over again. No more system lockups. I feel like a new person!
Thanks all.

I must say, though. It may take me a little while to get up the courage to lose Outlook Express. The saga continues.

Back