• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help with a book plz

True@1stLight

I could use some help deciding a couple of books to buy my cousin for christmas.

-16 years old
-Female
-Pretty intelligent for her age

Open to suggestions, since I don't know what it is like to be a teenage female, was hoping for some help. Although, I would like to avoid fluff suggestions.

Lets see I work at Waldenbooks. What do 16yr old girls usually look at . . ? Karma Sutra! I know it's wrong but I always catch them giggling and reading them in some other section. But for the not so frisky, I would say mabey a book from the Gossip Girl Series or mabey the Charmed, or Alias Series of books. Lois Lowry also has written a few books that might be of interest can't think of any titles right now, or if they still like the Princess thing Meg Cabot's Princess series is what those Disney movies are based off.

Eeek. I think I would have been highly insulted to receive something from a series entitled 'Gossip Girls' when I was 16.

The only book I can think of that seems to have been liked by every girl who's borrowed it from me is 'Memoirs of a Geisha.' There's a thread knocking around about it somewhere. I quite liked it, and wouldn't say it's too fluffy, but there's certainly more intellectual things out there, and there's also better Geisha themed books. Oh and I've yet to come across a girl who didn't like the Bridget Jones books (apart from me I suppose, but I don't count :( )

Sapper41 said:
Lets see I work at Waldenbooks. What do 16yr old girls usually look at . . ? Karma Sutra! I know it's wrong but I always catch them giggling and reading them in some other section. But for the not so frisky, I would say mabey a book from the Gossip Girl Series or mabey the Charmed, or Alias Series of books. Lois Lowry also has written a few books that might be of interest can't think of any titles right now, or if they still like the Princess thing Meg Cabot's Princess series is what those Disney movies are based off.

I know I work at B&N. What's fun is going over there and asking them if they are old enough to be in that section....great fun to see their faces :D

Trying to stay away from stuff like Gossip girl, Charmed, or Alias.....NO FLUFF!! Ok , maybe semi-acceptable.....but gossip girl?? :eek:

If I may offer the suggestioin

Classics:
The Count of Monte Criso
La Comedie Humaine (Human comedy?) By Balzac (This is a collection.)
current sellers:
God of small things
Lovely bones
100 secret senses by Amy Tan (its not a heavy reading, IMO)

PS: Dandelion wine by Ray Bradbury would be also a good choice.

watercrystal said:
The Count of Monte Criso
God of small things
Lovely bones
100 secret senses by Amy Tan

Agree with watercrystal on these ones, since I haven't read the others. :)

Maybe you should buy her something by Shakespeare. ;)

Agree with Watercrystal & add:

*Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders trilogy (Dragonflight, Dragonquest, & The White Dragon).
*Dorothy L. Sayers mysteries
*Pride & Prejudice

Back