• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help with a title

ks32561

I was recently talking w/ this guy about a book. I however cannot remember the title he told me. I can remember only a few details so please bear with me. The book is set in this world with good dwarfs and evil dwarfs. The evil dwarfs live underground and are brutal warriors. The story centers around this one young dwarf who ends up being the greatest evil dwarf warrior but hes not evil and does not like to fight. So he tries to go to the top and the good dwarfs try and kill him. So he moves into the forest and has a "magical black panther". Does anyone know what im talking about?

Okay now bear with me for a moment, cos ive got an idea on this one.

Is there a chance that you're mistaking 'dwarf' with 'elf', because if so then this sounds like the Forgotten Realms books of R.A. Salvatore, featuring Drizzt Do'Urden. He is a Drow (read 'Evil Elf') who is a great warrior but doesnt much like killing, escapes the Underdark (read Underground), but is hated by the good elves because he is Drow and flees. His 'magical black panther' is called Guenhwyvar.

Hope this is all sounding familiar, otherwise ive just made a great big prat out of myself!!

Btw, as to the books title, well there have been a fair few Drizzt books, but i'd go with The Dark Elf Trilogy (Homeland, Exile and Sojourn)

Phil :)

thats it!

Thanks so much I am positive that is it. Even the authors name sounds familiar. I am probably going to get this today.

Well ive never read FR fiction myself, but its meant to be fairly good - ive always enjoyed this particluar D&D setting, mainly through computer games, which is where i know the background from.

Glad to help :)

Phil (who is drunk, have i mentioned that before?? (It honestly took me about five goes to write this sentence correctly, the screen is all blurry (nothing to do with the vodka im sure ;) )))

Phil (yeah, me :) )

I actually bought Pompeii today instead as I found out my uncles friend has it and will let me borrow it. So far it is a good book. Just a question: Are fantasy readers a pretty thick(as in very friendly to eatchother) crowd because when I was in the fantasy section of my book store this guy just started talking to me and this has never happened to me in a book store before.

Phil_t originally posted:
It honestly took me about five goes to write this sentence
Had a good night, then, Phil?! :)

ks32561 originally posted:
when I was in the fantasy section of my book store this guy just started talking to me
Oh my God! Run, run for your life!

Cheers, Martin :D

Yes thanks, im bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this evening, which was more than can be said for this afternoon, when i had to go in on a Saturday for my terminally boring job :mad: Still, just one week left and i can go back to being pathetically unemployed instead :p

Phil

Typical fantasy book plot is outcast discovers magical power and becomes important. As such, it is a genre that appeals to those who may feel that they don't "fit in" and tend to bond when they find another devotee. So starting up a conversation at the bookstore would not be unusual. For unusual, go the the bookstore that specializes in fantasy.

Back