• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hermann Hesse: Demian

nomadic myth

Anyone else find this book stunning?

I think the Pistorius sections are a little dry, but I'm very drawn to Demian's character. The idea of being in touch with your most inner self, and not in a modern touchy-feely way, but in an unleashing of power way, is very inspirational. I think Demian's personality is super cool. I like how Hesse doesn't/can't describe it fully. Hesse is dealing with something he wants personally, and is trying to bring it out in fiction.

heavy but light

Demian is certainly a cool book. Seen as par to fhis entire work, it fits in to his development and is unfrotunately overshadowed by some more accomplished stories. That said, I love its freshness.... court somewhere between his early prose and his later works which get a bit heavy on the psychoanalysis. this is somewhere in between... deep enough to put forward his Jungian ideas... but not weighed down by them.

I don't know much about Hesse's early versus later works, but Demian is a good book. Hesse's Siddhartha, however, I thought was much better. It touches on various themes ranging from asceticism to hedonism, and it parallels the Buddha's life story in many ways. Demian is a little more contemporary is spiritual approach, but Siddhartha just seemed to resonate with me. It's a great book. You should check it out.

In my opinion Demian and The Steppenwolf are Hesse's best books.
I basically like books about self-discovery or self knowledge unless the stories are told in a more enthusiastic, optimistic way (I don't know how to describe exactly what I mean). Therefore I am not so fond of Siddhartha.

Yes great book. Felt like he was talking for me at times when describing the inner processes.

Back