• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

HOPE - An original short story

SilveryChris

:cool: In all fairness I feel that I must post a warning at the top of this post. This original short story is a romance as all of mine are and most romances seem to cause the male gender to break out in hives ;) hence, THE WARNING!

Chris

He wondered why he had come. A socializer was the last place in the world he needed or wanted to be. He had deliberately sat down at the empty table which was the most isolated from the group of bright, hopeful men and women across the room who were chatting and flirting, striving to connect with a special someone.

Again the man wondered why in the world he had come – here of all places and on this night of all nights. He wasn’t cheerful or hopeful anymore. In fact he had become comfortably accustomed to his life alone or so he had thought. He had a satisfying career, a beautiful home, a new car, two wonderful kids, and a few reliable friends. What else could he possibly need or want? Just as he was about to leave he felt again the tug of something else that he had – the huge empty space in his heart that seemed to be growing larger with each passing year. He had tried desperately to ignore that gnawing space because past relationships with women had only brought him pain. And he neither needed nor wanted more pain. But once he acknowledged the existence of that demanding empty space he also had to admit why he had come. SHE might be here.

He had no idea what she looked like on the outside, but he knew her feelings, her longings, her pains as well as his own. The fact that hers were almost identical to his own both scared and fascinated him. He knew in his soul that this woman could make life a wondrous thing for him again, and he desperately desired that and her. If he could erase her pain and fulfill her longings then his own would be abated as well. The empty space would disappear. Dear God, how he needed to feel whole again. Since finding her he had strangely felt as if life were passing him by. When he was young he’d thought that he had forever to live, but now he knew better. Nobody had forever; and for whatever tomorrows he had left he wanted to wake each morning holding her close. He was too frightened to look up from the table. SHE might be here.

As he stared at the dish of chocolate creams sitting in front of him he reflected on the first time he had heard her voice. It had been a business call – nothing more – but a vague, melancholy tone in her voice had reached deep inside and latched onto him. He couldn’t shake it even though he had tried. Her voice even floated through his dreams. Due to the demands of business their calls had continued until he had found himself looking forward to them, needing them, needing to hear her voice, needing to hear her laugh. For in these conversations he had taken great care to evoke laughter from her because in her laughter he heard hope. As time progressed they had extended the conversations beyond business into the personal realms of likes and desires and dreams. It seemed as if her dreams had become his and his hers; all tangled together. That was how he saw them now – voices tangled together, dreams tangled together, bodies tangled together. He felt like a fool, yet he was compelled to see her. SHE might be here.

That was why he had come. The business no longer required him to call her, but the empty space in his heart did. Since most of these carefree people were business connections she could easily be among them. He needed to meet her; needed to see the face that went with that melancholy voice; needed to look into her eyes and see them light with laughter. What would she feel like when he held her? What did she taste like? What sort of sound would she make when he entered her? Would she enjoy lying spoon-shaped afterward or prefer her head on his chest with her knee on his thigh? The questions swirled in his mind relentlessly.

What if she didn’t like him? What if he saw rejection in her eyes? He wasn’t a young man anymore and had never been particularly handsome. What would he do with the empty space in his heart if she didn’t want to fill it with her love? The taunting questions ceased as a single sound tickled the edge of his mind. Laughter – her laughter- her voice. Chills ran over his body; the hair on the back of his neck seemed to tingle with the electricity; his hands which ached to caress her face were clenched tightly together in front of the candy dish. All other sound dimmed for him. His senses focused totally on that one sound - her laughter. Slowly, but not slowly enough, the sound of her laughter drifted toward him. SHE was here. She was coming toward him. Waiting he stared at his hands wondering what the lips that made that laughter would feel like when he brushed them with his fingertips. What would her cheek feel like when he pressed his against it? Could she possibly be feeling the same things as he? Finally he could stand it no longer. Slowly he stood and raised his eyes.

Part 1

HOPE - Part 2

She wondered why she had come. She usually avoided these types of events any way she could. It didn’t matter to her that most of these people could be beneficial to her business. All that mattered to her was that huge empty space in her heart that desperately needed to be filled with love, with passion, with hope. She had tried to fill it before but had failed. She couldn’t afford to try and fail again. If she failed again she wouldn’t have any heart left. She had been married once, but he had physically wanted her without really needing her. The realization of that had caused her the worst pain she had ever experienced. However she knew herself; and as much as it frightened her she knew that in order to be a whole person she had to find him-the one man who would both want her and need her. She needed that elusive hope in order to survive. She smiled to herself as the words to a familiar song glided through her mind – “I want you to need me like the air you breathe”. She couldn’t think of a better way to describe it.

HE might be here. Again she could hear his deep, textured, sexy voice that had brought life to their business calls. She trembled as she realized that his voice had brought life to her as well. When she awoke in the middle of the night, cold and alone; it was his voice that was echoing in her ears. And every night as she turned on her side with tears brushing her eyelids she found herself clutching the extra pillow to her breast wishing that it was his head instead; wishing that his voice was filling her empty heart while his lips feathered her skin.

Somehow she knew that he would need her. Some undefinable quality in that hypnotic voice told her that he would need her just as much as he would want her. He would need to be in her life as much as he would want to be inside her body.. At the thought panic laced with a desperate hope shot through her. She wasn’t young anymore; her body showed the passage of time. Her chocolate brown hair was threaded with silver, but she was fiercely proud of that silver. Those threads were medals of honor for each of life’s battles that she had fought and survived. The knowledge and the experience that she had gained from those battles made her the person that she now was. She had to believe that he would look beyond the exterior to see all that was inside her that she needed to share with him. Dear God, she prayed, don’t let me be wrong about this man.

HE might be here. She had no idea what he looked like, but she didn’t need to. She had come to know the man inside, the most important part. He was kind, considerate, always ready to listen and to support; and when she felt most like crying he could magically make her laugh. He made her feel good about herself. As she made her way slowly across the room toward the tables acquaintances stopped her and her laughter softly spilled out. She enjoyed laughter. When her heart was heavy laughter became her shield. He had a beautiful laugh. It didn’t erupt often; but when it did it flowed straight to her heart and nestled in the empty space it discovered there. She needed to find the owner of that precious laughter.

Without realizing it she found herself next to the long table which was isolated from the boisterous crowd. From the corner of her eye she became aware that a man was slowly standing at the end of the table. For some unknown reason her heart suddenly lurched as if to demand her attention and her soft laughter died on her lips. But not soon enough. He had locked his eyes on her face just as the last whispers of laughter tickled his ears. She was here and actually standing so near he could touch her. She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Yes, her body showed the passage of time as did his, but she was outwardly still an incredibly attractive woman . She had a curvaceous, firm body with long legs; her shoulder length hair was a dark chestnut brown threaded with silver; her face was expressive with riveting brown eyes, a small mouth with well-defined lips, and the smoothest complexion imaginable. The entire package was enhanced by your basic little black dress , one gold chain around a slender neck, and no make-up. Being a normal man he was delighted with the outward package, but more importantly he had felt the beauty of her heart and was finally smart enough to realize that while the outward beauty may fade the beauty of her heart would last forever. He loved her for the complete woman she was today; the woman who would understand the man he now was; the woman who could make him whole. The woman who could restore all of his hope. But all he could do was stare and wait for her to recognize him. Please, God, let her recognize me.

Trembling inside and out she tilted her head and looked directly into his eyes – the softest, gentlest, most incredible brown eyes she had ever seen. When their eyes connected he smiled and of its own volition his deep, sensuous laughter poured from his heart into the room. As his laughter filled her ears her fear and trembling ceased. He was here. Her heart recognized his laughter immediately. Those incredible eyes were joined with thick black brows which reached up to a head layered with soft, silver hair. And that amazing laugh erupted from a full mouth that was shadowed on each side by the many creases born from all the ripples of laughter that had escaped over the years. To her he was absolutely perfect. Seeing only delight in her face he silently opened his arms and she moved quickly inside them placing her head over his heart. As she listened to his heart beating she prayed that when she drew her last breath he would be holding her next to his heart just as he was now. HE was here. SHE was here. Hope that the beauty of living could be reborn was here. Thanking God for answering her prayers she nuzzled his neck, breathed in the scent of him, and placed the softest of kisses on his skin. He laughed gently against her ear and in that deep, caressing voice which vibrated with so much hope said, “Welcome Home, Sweetheart.”

Nice story. Is this something you wrote in the past, or did you just write it?

I would have responded earlier, but for some reason, I started itching all over! ;)

Honey, for The Romance Story Male Itch just take a long soak in a tub of hot water with a few drops of baby oil ...............works like a charm. ;) I wrote this one about one year ago. It was my first and the "mildest" . I have since written a total of eleven and each one seems to get longer than the last. If you ever have a surplus of baby oil and wish to read more of them they are at my personal Web Site and that is given in my Profile. But I had best add a caveat..............this one is a Romance. The rest are Erotic Romances. If you don't like sexually explicit material (and who is crazy enough to admit to that except me? ;) ) then you had best not read them. The Itch might prove to be fatal. :rolleyes:

Chris

Back