• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Horror - where do i start?!

Øystein said:
Oddly, in recent years, the one that I've found by far most scary (to the extent of giving me that physical creeped out feeling) was not a traditional horror story, but rather Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper"[1]. I see it's often discussed as a feminist story these days, though Gilman herself didn't seem to write it for that purpose[2], but first and foremost it's just about the creepiest thing around.
I would have to agree. That story creeped me out too! Sometimes I can't help but think about that groove in the wall and it gives me the chills every time! Also second The Mist. There are such strong images in that story and they have been stuck in my head for years.

Nuts. Late again.

Anyway...

Horror isn't quite as 'commercial' as it may have once been, and less and less books seem to appear on the shelves with each passing year (well apart from some of the big names such as King, Clive Barker, Anne Rice). The Horror Writers of America did post a recommendation list 10 years ago which is generally quite good (even though some titles are difficult to find): http://www.horror.org/readlist.htm

Like science fiction, a lot of good horror stories can be found in the short story format- Stephen Jones' compilations can be variable in quality but they do expose you to a wide range of horror authors.

Back