• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How about a word game?

steffee

Let's play a word game.

8-letter words, the last letter of the current word starts the next word, and so on?

E.g.

comprisE

enchantS

swampinG

.... ?

Or something else? :D

How about making up cryptic crossword clues. Must give clue and number of letters. TBF related would be even better.

For instance:

Troublemaker needs doom kit. (7)

Or,

Sounds like father absconded. He's never here. (6)

novella said:
How about making up cryptic crossword clues. Must give clue and number of letters. TBF related would be even better.

For instance:

Troublemaker needs doom kit. (7)

Or,

Sounds like father absconded. He's never here. (6)

As we may have some confusion here (for those unfamiliar with cryptic clues), the answer to the first is: MOTOKID (anagram of doom kit), and the answer to the second is: DARREN (sounds like da ran and is never here).

Here's another:

You can play noisily in one, or you're out! (6)

Okay. I'll try one.

You could build something with several, or you might just let it go.

(I don't think I'm as good at this game as you and novella are.)

I'm going to say Bricklane, but I'm not sure you've closed the clue properly. Still, good try. And I do want to know the anwer. (BTW, BANNED was correct!)

Is your 'Currently reading' of "never let Pnin of Scotland go" any clue?

Still, wake up, it's lunch time here LOL... how many letters?

I was following novella's theme (and trying not to be too obvious.) :rolleyes:

Board or bored was the word. I'll get the hang of this yet.

It is 4:50 AM here. You woke me up!

If I had said "yawn and let it go", would that have been fairer?

Okay, if you're up for it, I'll give you some hints on how to solve a cryptic clue.

First, you look for a key process word in the clue. For instance, mixed up or jumbled or new order means the answer is probably an anagram of something in the clue. Second, all the information you need to solve the clue should be in the clue--it's not Trivial Pursuits.

Then there are words that usually represent certain letters, e.g., duck=o, fifty=L. These can get a little obscure if you're doing an English crossword and you're American. I'll try not to use obscure ones. :)

So, here's another:

Four million mixed up members discuss here. (5)

Can you explain why the answer was BANNED? Gee... this is the reason why I can NEVER solve crosswords...

ds

novella said:
Okay, if you're up for it, I'll give you some hints on how to solve a cryptic clue.

First, you look for a key process word in the clue. For instance, mixed up or jumbled or new order means the answer is probably an anagram of something in the clue. Second, all the information you need to solve the clue should be in the clue--it's not Trivial Pursuits.

Then there are words that usually represent certain letters, e.g., duck=o, fifty=L. These can get a little obscure if you're doing an English crossword and you're American. I'll try not to use obscure ones. :)

So, here's another:

Four million mixed up members discuss here. (5)

FORUM?

I think I'm getting the hang of this, even if I don't understand why duck = o or fifty = L :confused: :confused:

I dunno, I dunno if it's right :confused:

But if you said you had 4 million dollars you could say $4m and it would make sense? :)

Back