• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How many forums do you frequent?

Ell

How many forums or message boards do you belong to?

Do you actively post or do you lurk? What kinds of boards do you visit? Are they book-related?

I'm a member of 3 discussion forums and tend to post rather sporadically. I also lurk (mostly) at a few others. They are all book related, except for a couple of travel forums.

I'm member of a couple of music-related forums, but there's only I visit and post on frequently, the others are mostly lurking-ground for me.

This is the first book-related forum I've been a part of, and I hope to be as much of an active member as I can on here.

I'm still looking for a good movie-related board though, just to make sure my "media" are covered ;)

I'm a member of several forums, but I find that I tend to only post on a few regularly.

I'm into Home Cinema, films and DVD, so I visit The Home Theater Forum quite a bit. They're a really friendly bunch of people over there.

Lies if you're looking for a movie-forum then have a look at Home Theater Forum.

I also visit several computer-related forums, and I recently joined PC Tech Talk.

Thanks for the advice, Darren, I'll look into it! Though I have to admit that the size does scare me a bit... Normally I can only read and post on the weekends (now's an exception), so I'm afraid I won't be able to keep track of it all.

I guess I'll just have to lurk and see ;)

As I made the first steps to install a forum by myself I dropped into www.phpbb.com . They have great forums, with one called "Show-off". All the people who installed a phpBB-forum told about that in this forum. So there you can find EVERYTHING! On that way, I became member in some forums, but I like this one the most!

I lurk into forums about PHP, phpBB, Free Website-hosting, Formula 1, and everything related to Sweden ...

Hello.

Well I'm a member of too many lol. I actually frequent 3 forums right now, and that's enough for me. My own forum keeps me busy enough. On Vbulletins board someone came up with an idea that if you join and post on my forum I will do the same on yours. Well I signed up for God knows how many and posted and only 3 or 4 joined mine, so lesson learned I will get my own members and they can get theirs lol. Too many forums not enough time lol

Cheers

:D

I have other 4/5 discussion forums I go to. Most of other websites I read only.

Missed this thread - so, here goes.

Book forums:
member of six, of which one I own and another one I moderate - and the others I visit on and off.

Web design/graphics:
member of seven - participate on and off, especially if I need to find something out specific out.

Ancient Egypt:
member of six, of which one I own.

Miscellaneous:
member of about 10, of which one I own and one I moderate.

I tend to go through stages of which forums I visit and how often...and my hobbies change so much that the forums reflect these changes.

Mxx

I'm a moderator on a sci fi/fantasy forum (which you're all welcome to join, poach, poach :D ), and an intermittent member of a couple of guitar forums. I'm also an estranged moderator on an American forum that I never did quite work out the theme of, only I argued with one of the admins who was reading people's private messages and sending out death threats to people he didn't like. Nice chap. And there's another forum I joined a couple weeks ago on account of they were having a conversation about sporks and I had some wisdom to impart. Can't resist a good spork chat. But other than that the forum was a bit of a let down. Lots of teenagers complaining about how terrible their lives are, and engaging in self mutilation. Can't be doing with that. And I lurk on a few others. There are some great places that you wouldn't want to join, but that have really fantastic flame wars. Very entertaining.

I am a member of three forums. This one, which I am fairly new to and tend to lurk somewhat at the moment...

One for LUSH cosmetics - which is a small company in the UK who make handmade fresh environmentally/animal friendly skincare products etc. They now have stores all over the world. It sounds strange that I am on their forum, but I swear by their products and the forum is a vibrant place to be!

The final one I am part of is the forum of the local "alternative" club in the town where I live. Most people on there know each other, so it's not quite as virtual.

I am looking forward to becoming more of a part of this forum. I've never found anywhere else I can talk about books with passion without boring everyone to tears!! I am at that stage at the moment where I'm just sussing out who's who etc

How do you people find the time

I only post to this forum! You are lucky people; you have me all to yourself! :D

errr... or not lol

Regards
SillyWabbit

I'm a member of several forums (about 6), but I post regularly at only 2 of them (this one and another bookforum). The other 3 or 4 are Windows XP-forums, which I just browse through when I'm having some difficulties with my 'puter.

Cheers, Martin :D

Member of four...this one and one other are the most active and I post most frequently at these two. There is another where I mainly lurk, and another which isn't all that active.

All are book related.

Well I think it will be nice getting to know you "Sally Sausages", interesting handle BTW!

I've only started coming here recently but it has a very pleasant feel.
The first forum I ever went on was a Sci Fi gaming type forum

http://forums.taldren.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

- I was with my ex G/F at the time and we both were aghast by the very
staunch right views and militaristic views there, so I left ( and we broke up- but that's another story :p )

Then I "hung" around at

http://www.outpost10f.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.pl?s=4054d1eb1942ffff;act=SF;f=1

A Sci Fi Fantasy place, mainly Star Trek-
for a while, people there were friendly and accomodating, and I chatted there too. Infact in my last 5 week road trip across the uSa ( 10,000 miles!) I met up with many of these folks. It was very pleasant and educational. However the ranking system started to really narck me- it lead to cliqueyness, and a forum mafia (which has to some extent been extinguished!). Alot of us Brits from that forum still meet up at the end of every month at Pages bar in London but I find myself keeping my distance from the site of late, as little trigger happy teenagers get promoted and go on power trips (higher rankers get more "powers" and more respect apparently!).

One of my most recent forums is a car place stumbled across:
I was doing a search on a very esoteric field of one of my passions-cars, and found an informative article - then I looked to find that I had written it 8 years ago and this forum/site had taken it, but they DID at least give me credit for it!
http://e21.tricord.cjb.net/
[ My beloved old car, my companion since 1990, is posted up there!]
When I introduced myself there, apparently alot of people there already knew me, ( articles have been done on me and my car and my profession in various magazines) and it felt really good to be apprecaited (for a change!)

Perhaps it speaks volumes about ME that I haven't "stayed" at one particular site for long, perhaps its connected to the fact that I also haven't stayed in relationships for long term, unfortunately. May be it's no coincidence that the two things I've stuck with in my life are automotive related, - My work and my car. Wasn't it in "Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintainance" that the author hinted that looking after the machine is looking after your rational side?
But then again, I'm over analysing- most deifinately- but in a fun way- after all
Even Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!

I post here, and at www.eurotechniks.com, which is all about VW and Audi's. It is mostly Houston based, so I know a lot of the guys there in person, as well. Sometimes, it produces much drama, which can be both humorous and irritating. But I don't post as much there, as my knowledge of cars is miniscule compared to my knowledge of books.

Murphyz, I am curious about the ancient egypt forums. It's a subject I've always been interested in.

I'm registered on three other forums, but this is the only one I frequent on a regular basis (I'm still a bit of a newbie too). One of the ones that I used to frequent had a points system where you had to get a certain number of points before you could have a custom signature, change your avatar, etc. That just resulted in a lot of people posting nonsense and having competitions whereby a certain poster would win another person's points. Between those non-messages and the fact that there were thousands of members on the board, I could never keep up. The other board didn't have quite as many members, but I still couldn't keep up. The only other forum that I visit occasionally is a Chevy forum that I check in on every once in a while since I own a truck that needs attention every once in a while.

Ashlea said:
Murphyz, I am curious about the ancient egypt forums. It's a subject I've always been interested in.
Yeah, me too. Does anyone know of a nice history forum? I think I'd like that...

Back