• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

how many people watch anime?

huxley

would like to know how many people watch anime,

in north america.
you think anime could be big in north america if it was widely available in theaters. i talking about japanesse anime.

like the other day i saw that profits for the movie "spirited away"

it cost 19 m$ to make. and it grossed 234m$ in japan alone.
but in the usa it only made 10m$ cause it was released only in the big cities. like new york, and l.a. chicago.
released to less than 20 cities.

so my question was , do you think anime could be huge in the usa if it was widely released and advertised correctly. through comercials and such.

specificaly anime movies in theaters.
like a lot of kids/parents go see the pixar movies all the time. wouldn't they go see anime as well if only they understood it better.

I agree. I think the only reason some of it hasn't been released in theaters is fear of parents misunderstanding, taking their children to see "a fun cartoon" called "Hellsing: the Movie", and the entire family walking out thoroughly traumatized. Most anime isn't really for kids, or even marginally appropriate for kids. So it's stayed a bit more underground for the time being, and quite honestly, I prefer that. I don't need all the eleven-year-olds in the world deciding they like Hellsing and overflowing the fanfiction community with bad work, or filling forums with "OMGZ!!! hellsing is lyke duh BOMB!1!!!!111!" when they were intended for serious conversation among those who are actually old enough to watch the series.

Perhaps if parents could be sufficiently educated about what kinds of shows some of the anime are, putting it in more theaters would work, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Parents now let their kids watch movies to shut them up, never mind what is on the screen.

I used to view people who liked anime as weirdos...that was before my beloved uncle sent me a dvd of Spirited Away for my birthday. I at first was weirded out because I'd never seen it before, but then I was hooked. I watched Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke (amazing movie) and was hooked. I also saw My Neighbor Totoro when I was little and loved it. My parents are not understanding my sudden change of views but that's okay. Anyone have any other good recommendations? Right now I'm watching anime shows on youtube but I really want a good movie. Manga is also good...if it wasn't so darn expensive I'd read more of it! :mad:

Inappropriate anime is a definite no-no for children. I love how adult anime always has the text "Absolutely Not For Children" plastered across the top.

I used to view people who liked anime as weirdos...that was before my beloved uncle sent me a dvd of Spirited Away for my birthday. I at first was weirded out because I'd never seen it before, but then I was hooked. I watched Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke (amazing movie) and was hooked. I also saw My Neighbor Totoro when I was little and loved it. My parents are not understanding my sudden change of views but that's okay. Anyone have any other good recommendations? Right now I'm watching anime shows on youtube but I really want a good movie. Manga is also good...if it wasn't so darn expensive I'd read more of it! :mad:
Like Miyazaki much? ;) You should also see Kiki's Delivery Service; it's cute.

Most of my anime are series rather than movies. Except for Howl's Moving Castle the only movies that I have are based on series...

Yeah, Miyazaki is amazing. I'll check out Kiki's Delivery Service. Thanks!
What are some of your favorite series?

LOL. Never seen them paste that at the top of anything, Fantasy Moon.

If you can't afford manga, you might want to sit down at Border's and just read if you have enough time. That's usually what I do--got through the entire Hellsing series that way, and most of the Sandman, although that's not manga; it's American comics.

I agree. I think the only reason some of it hasn't been released in theaters is fear of parents misunderstanding, taking their children to see "a fun cartoon" called "Hellsing: the Movie", and the entire family walking out thoroughly traumatized. Most anime isn't really for kids, or even marginally appropriate for kids. So it's stayed a bit more underground for the time being, and quite honestly, I prefer that. I don't need all the eleven-year-olds in the world deciding they like Hellsing and overflowing the fanfiction community with bad work, or filling forums with "OMGZ!!! hellsing is lyke duh BOMB!1!!!!111!" when they were intended for serious conversation among those who are actually old enough to watch the series.

Perhaps if parents could be sufficiently educated about what kinds of shows some of the anime are, putting it in more theaters would work, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Parents now let their kids watch movies to shut them up, never mind what is on the screen.

Agreed. I love anime, but it certainly is not for every one. I don't think it would do well at all on the big screen.

Perhaps not. It does take an acquired taste, after all. The humor's lost on people who aren't used to it, and the culture of the people in the series is usually non-American...it's pretty hard for some people to get, partially because it demands (for the Westerner) that you learn about what you're watching.

Back