• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How possessive are you about your books?

It doesn't really matter how people treat my books. As long as they return them, it's fine. I'm perfectly fine if people dog-ear or bed the cover and stuff. It's just a book. No matter how much you love the book, unless it's a rare book, you shouldn't really care that much. I'm perfectly fine if somebody writes in my books. In fact, I welcome it. It's nice to read other people's comments on it. It sometimes saves you from reading really stupid parts. I often buy used books, so it doesn't really matter to me. Why buy new when you can buy used?

Not possessive at all, I share and I love to share/swap them. A well read book isn't going to look perfect and new, and I accept that. I buy many of my books used.

That's horrible! I had a friend that I let borrow a series of books and when I asked about them about a year later, he said he had thrown them out because he read them and I had too so why keep them? Grrrr

What the...?? :mad: What is wrong with people - selling and throwing away property that isn't theirs? :mad: I'd be asking them for a replacement, and if they refused...well, that'd pretty much end the friendship for me. :mad:

How about doing the same thing with their CDs or DVDs? Maybe they'd get the point then! ;)

What the...?? :mad: What is wrong with people - selling and throwing away property that isn't theirs? :mad: I'd be asking them for a replacement, and if they refused...well, that'd pretty much end the friendship for me. :mad:

How about doing the same thing with their CDs or DVDs? Maybe they'd get the point then! ;)

All this happened when I was 16. I've learned quite a bit since then.

I'll lend my paperbacks once I have read them. I admit to being a spine bender, but I never bend back the front covers of the book (I use a hair "jaw clip" to hold them open when I'm reading them if I only have one hand available, i.e. I'm eating or cooking). I also no longer dog-ear pages like I used to do in high school and college.

I do have a few books that I will lend to no one. They are the leather-bound, gilt-edged volumes of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare and The Iliad and The Odyssey. No one gets to borrow those books. I also have only lent my hardback editions of books to one person and that was because I knew he'd treat them well. He has always returned them in the condition in which I lent them. I will admit to testing him with paperbacks first, though.:eek:

I read everywhere, all the time. My hubby makes fun of me because I have a handtowel right next to the bathtub that I use whenever I need to turn the page while taking a bath. This way the book doesn't get wet. When I get out of the tub, I have another towel that I drape over the book, just in case I drip while towel-drying my hair (water goes everywhere, I swear!). I learned these lessons the hard way.

I will admit to having left a book I was reading outside on the deck and it rained. I was devastated. I had only read the first two chapters. When the hubby saw how upset I was, he asked, "Why are you so upset, hon? It's only a book." :eek: I'm not sure he understood my cry of "Sacrilege!", since he's not a reader. I equated it to me saying "It's only a football" if his Roger Staubach-autographed-ball got eaten by the dog. I think he got it.

I'm only 15 so i dont care too much for books as a lot of my stuff gets rashed anyways, but my books come above most things when looking after them, the worst thing that happens with me and my books is when they are in my bag and a drink leaks over them :( can't stand it, happened to my favourite book as well :(

I am very possessive with my books. "Get yer paws off" is a phrase that springs to mind. I have been known to lend my books to family members on the odd rare occasion. It is hard to refuse. As for leaving the house, in someone else's possession, I don't know about that. Although I did lend one to my father, who took it with him to England, and returned it on his next visit. Can't grumble about that one.

As for the smell of books, I like the smell of some old books. Probably ones that haven't been opened for a while.

I saw a couple of people on TV recently take paperbacks and bend the cover and pages over backwards. One was on a book review show. I was very surprised that this would happen on such a show. The other was a reporter who borrowed the book off someone in the crowd. I am sure I would have snatched it back, regardless of the camera.

I get very possessive about my books. I will only lend them to one friend, who lends his books to me and with whom I share a similar attitude toward how such things are returned.

I don't like my partner reading my books – spines on his books get bent, sometimes they get wet if he takes them into the bath. If I'm carting a book to work or on a journey, it's always wrapped in a carrier bag just to keep it clean and the corners tidy.

How possessive am I about my books? Let me put it this way. If I lend a book to someone and I have to ask for it back - then I never lend one to them again.

Me? Uncompromising? Nah, surely not....;)

Ha! I'm super protective of my books. I keep all of my signed and fav ones in plastic cases. I have two very rare ones that I keep in a small safe under my bed. I have a no lending policy since my buddy spilled milk all over my copy of Shadow Puppets...which was signed.:mad:

Back