• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How should I arrange the books on my new bookshelf?

wilderness

Yes, this post is slightly pedantic and stupid, but it is very important.
I am rearranging my room to suit my new-finished-high-school persona and part of that includes a new bigger bookshelf :) :) :)

So...how should I arrange the books?
Should I arrange them in genres? (like short story anthologies, crime, nonfiction...)
Should I arrange it alphabetically?
Should I arrange them by books I have read and books I havent read?
Should I arrange them by size and colour?

So many options!

opinions?

Lani

So...how should I arrange the books?
Should I arrange them in genres? (like short story anthologies, crime, nonfiction...)
Should I arrange it alphabetically?
Should I arrange them by size and colour?

So many options!

opinions?

Lani

How do you look for a book at borders/barnes/target.....?

Sort them that way. Which ever way you're used to finding what you're looking for now, do it that way. Why change a good thing.

That's what I do. Do what you feel. Each way is fine.

I prefer to divide them between fiction and non-fiction. Within those categories, I then arrange them by author.:)

How many books do you have? I think that amount plays a huge role in how they should be ordered. No point of seperating them into sections if you only have a few.

I've tried all of those options at one point or another and I'm not using any of them now. I found that I just didn't have the time to keep up with a meticulous filing system with the number of books I have and acquire on a regular basis.

My current style is to just jam books where I have spaces. When I run out of room I take out books that I've read and don't want anymore. Those go into a box in the cellar to give away.

I find that with my memory and the number of books I have, it's easier to have an organised system.

I have 2 bookcases for the unread/newly bought books, but they're not organised in any particular way.

The rest of the books are divided into ficiton/non fiction. I do place them alphabetically by author but they are mainly divided into sections - so the classics like Dickens, Hardy, etc. will be together, the Russian tomes will be in one place and so on.

I tend to seperate the fiction and non-fiction and read from not, and then sort by genre. The only problem I have with that is that I want to keep all my Chinese/Japanese books together, which means that I have to mix them in slightly. Soon I'm going to reorganise completely and see if sorting by author would work for me. What doesn't help is that I'm hoping to be going to University next year and I doubt I'm going to have enough space to take all my books with me. :(

I suggest sorting your books in different ways and then seeing which you like best. You'll never know until you try. :)

I seperate read from unread, the read ones are seperated fiction from nonfiction and then by size, I find I can stuff more on the shelves that way. Unread books are not as organized they are shelved and stacked according to how soon I think I want to read them.

This is how they are now anyways, embarrassing but when I am upset or nervous, I rearrange the whole collection.

My current style is to just jam books where I have spaces. When I run out of room I take out books that I've read and don't want anymore. Those go into a box in the cellar to give away.

I'll gladly pay shipping for some of those....do you have a list? I'm seriousl :)

I seperate read from unread, the read ones are seperated fiction from nonfiction and then by size, I find I can stuff more on the shelves that way. Unread books are not as organized they are shelved and stacked according to how soon I think I want to read them.

This is how they are now anyways, embarrassing but when I am upset or nervous, I rearrange the whole collection.

Somebody needs to make me angry! I really need to organize my shelves somehow. My problem is sheer volume and shelves all over the house. It helps that we're mostly having school in the schoolroom for a change. I've tried to keep the most useful books for this year in one place in the schoolroom. After that its all jumbled. And having to take my husbands wishes and needs into consideration is another issue. We really need a second bookcase in our room, but just do not have the room to do so.

What doesn't help is that I'm hoping to be going to University next year and I doubt I'm going to have enough space to take all my books with me. :(

I have this problem too. I'm only a junior but I'm dreading leaving for college because I'm going to have to leave my "children." As of now I'm developing a complex system of taking a boxful to college and then switching them out when I get the chance to come home. Call me crazy :rolleyes:

As for arranging, I think it works best to do it by genre, but right now I'm also just jamming them in wherever there's room.

We have ours arranged by colors and I love it. It's so different and even though I was sort of afraid it would make it hard for me to find a certain book this way - it really is no problem at all. On the contrary. I know Miller is purple, Cornwell is white, King is black and Palahniuk is neon-pink. :D

I have mine arranded mainly by size just because I feel the it looks nice and neat....but arrange them in a way you like and are happy with.

I can give you a suggestion, arrange your books in whatever style you like but always hide your favourite books behind the less favourite books, then you dont have to lend them.

I always do this .;)

i arrange my books in size order..at the moment the cupboard is full so they are ending up in piles!! he he :)

Back