• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I liked Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth, what else can I read?

Jemcrystal

Other works/authors and their series I favored were:

Forgetten Realms (drow),
"A Kiss of Shadows" by Laurell K. Hamilton,
"Luck in the Shadows" by Lynn Flewelling,
"Mélusine" by Sarah Monette,
"Beguilement" by Lois McMaster Bujold,
"Storm Front" by Jim Butcher.

I'm listing only the 1st book in a series but I've read the whole series.

I like FANTASY. Elves, dragons, medieval swords, wizards. MATURE CONTENT; adult settings. No juvenile fiction, plz.

Suggestions? :D

Anne Bishop, Jacqueline Carey, George R.R. Martin, and Richard K. Morgan don't shy away from writing mature fantasy. Try one or all of them (although Carey and Martin are my personal favorites).

no luck

Good suggestions but nothing seems to draw me in. Urgh, I'm so frustrated. You'd think with all the books out there I could find something I like.

I like handsome, long haired male characters. I like a smart fantasy world (romance novels insult my intelligence). I like time to get attached to those male characters. I hate rosebuds and melons but love the rooster! I'll tolerate a female presence if its balanced out with handsome males (thus my acceptance of Terry Goodkind).

wizards
elves
i would say vampires but no one writes intelligent goth

Poppy Z Brite
Lord of the Rings (the movies i mean. i'm unsure if Tolkien ever said Aragorn's hair was long. too many years have past - i forget).
A wizard of Earthsea, Book 1 of the Earthsea Cycle (he's a kid in the first book, but his age, and presumably his hair, grows in books 2 thru 4).

A little different: American Gods, Neil Gaiman. Strong male lead, unsure if he's handsome. His dead wife comes back to look him up, though, so something's right.

I've not read her, but given the raves people I suspect would never read her have said about True Blood, perhaps Charlaine Harris?

still lookn

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Any more suggestions are welcome.

Not into Poppy, just to weird what I've read of her collections. LOTR - been there, done that. A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin sounds interesting but I'm not into juvenile fiction - I like adult words and adult subject matter mixed in with an intelligent book. The reviews make me think of Eragon. Maybe its worth checking out so I'll keep it on the back burner.

Tons of peeps keep referring me to George R.R. Martin. I guess I'll try him but I wonder if he'll have any handsome men.

I don't like the cover pics on Jacqueline Carey's novels - they scream female protagonist. I'm not into fem. Anne Bishop the same. It looks like the story will always be thru a woman's eyes. Not my fav. Richard K. Morgan doesn't seem to have written a lot and I'm cautious of someone who uses the word "angel" in a book title. Is Steven Erikson's writings mature or juvenile fiction?

I’m very happy you are all trying to help picky me, though. Keep pumping suggestions my way, you’ve made my day fun. :D

Earthsea <> Eragon!!! :mad:

I can tell you A Wizard of Earthsea is nothing like Eragon, story or prose-wise (even though I've only been able to read a page of Eragon before giving up). And Earthsea get a distinctly less-juvenile-like feel as you go along the books.

I can also tell you George RR Martin (or GRRM) has more than a hatful of handsome men, but one of my favourites is the least handsome man in the book. If you're into fantasy, then you have to do yourself a favour to try GRRM. However I have to say it's very different from the books you've listed in your first post, which was why I didn't list him myself.

Erikson writes epic high-fantasy, not YA.

Something geared towards adult, I recommend: Lyonesse Trilogy by Jack Vance. Suldrun's Garden is Book number 1.

As for the Wizard of Earthsea, I really enjoyed that title. It isn't like Eragon at all. Although Eragon was a good read for me, I did feel something was definitely lacking. Second book to Eragon was a disappointment.

I suggest you try Sherilyn Kenyon and her Dark Hunter series.

Thanks yea Sherilyn Kenyon and Laurell K Hamilton like totally rock all. Wonderful stuff.

I have read all the world has to offer.

I've read so much I'm the one who can tell others what to read. Now I'm just reading Dungeons & Dragons manuals and playing Sims. Lol. Sometimes I play mmorpgs but the lack of intelligence with many gamers drives me insane.

In other words I've given up finding a new book. It's like trying to find a good program on TV. This generation is brain dead and everyone from my generation is to old to do anything anymore.

I blame Darwinism. Teach children they're the descendants of moneys and fish and see how smart they act. People used to believe they were gods! Lol.

Lame.

Other works/authors and their series I favored were:

Forgetten Realms (drow),
"A Kiss of Shadows" by Laurell K. Hamilton,
"Luck in the Shadows" by Lynn Flewelling,
"Mélusine" by Sarah Monette,
"Beguilement" by Lois McMaster Bujold,
"Storm Front" by Jim Butcher.

I'm listing only the 1st book in a series but I've read the whole series.

I like FANTASY. Elves, dragons, medieval swords, wizards. MATURE CONTENT; adult settings. No juvenile fiction, plz.

Suggestions? :D

wheel of time by robert jordan
game of thrones by george r r martin
noble dead series by barb hendee
magicians apprentice (and rest of series, forgot name) by raymond e feist

Back