• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I need help finding some GREAT Fantasy Authors

Drizzt Do'Urden

Ok, I'll get straight to the point. My fantasy influence is generally confined to RA Salvatore, Garth Nix, Meg cabot, and Emily Rodda. I really think I need to find some new authors to read. Please help!

I have a few suggestions for you :)

Try Tad Williams and his fantasy trilogy that consists of The Dragon Bone Chair, Stone of Farewell, and To Green Angel Tower.

Another one that I think you will like is Terry Brooks. Check out his Shannara books ( of which there are many ) but you can start with the first 3 books which are Sword of Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara, and Wishsong of
Shannara.

Another suggestion is David Gemmel. He writes action/adventure fantasy books and is very popular. I think you might like him!

Also, what about The Hobbit? Have you read that yet? If not, you might want to check out that one.

I've heard alot of stuff about terry Brooks....Perhaps I shall check him out. And yah, I ahve read The Hobbit. I didn't find very much fantasy in it as Adventure though.

I don't read too many pure fantasy books (more of a hard sci-fi fan), but I've enjoyed Guy Gavriel Kay.

You didn't mention Dune - a great epic adventure/fantasy/sci-fi novel.

Lots more out there. Scroll back through some of the old threads for more ideas.

ell :)

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
Dragonlance books.. (i've only read the Weis & Hickman)
David Eddings is awesome too The Belgaraid

I've read some of RA Salvatore's books I think you will enjoy these.

SillyWabbit said:
I have a few suggestions for you :)

Try Tad Williams and his fantasy trilogy that consists of The Dragon Bone Chair, Stone of Farewell, and To Green Angel Tower.

Another one that I think you will like is Terry Brooks. Check out his Shannara books ( of which there are many ) but you can start with the first 3 books which are Sword of Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara, and Wishsong of
Shannara.

Another suggestion is David Gemmel. He writes action/adventure fantasy books and is very popular. I think you might like him!

Also, what about The Hobbit? Have you read that yet? If not, you might want to check out that one.

there are alot of Shannara books....13 exactly o.o

Yes :D

The three that I mentioned to you are a complete trilogy unto themselves and you can read them without reading the other stuff. However, obviously, if you like those 3 then you may want to go on and read the other ones. I think that the next "set" of books are five books long and tell a story set some hundreds of years after the events of the first 3 books :)

Yah, I managed to work out a Chronological order.....They sound real interesting, perhaps I could buy the "Prequel" and see how it turns out.

The First King of Shannara
The Sword of Shannara
The Elfstones of Shannara
The Wishsong of Shannara
The Scions of Shannara
The Druid of Shannara
The Elf Queen of Shannara
The Talismens of Shannara
The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Isle Witch Bk. 1
The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Antrax Bk. 1
Morgawr
Jarka Ruus
Tanequil

Yeah, they are good. I did really enjoy them a lot. Two points: First, I haven't read the prequel. I don't know how good it's going to be. I would imagine it's a good read tho. Second, Sword of Shannara is pretty much a clone of Lord of the Rings so just be prepared for that. It's still a good read but it better be something you are prepared for. The other books are original tho and they just get better and better.

Enjoy :)

Mercedes Lackey does terrific fantasy! She's got lots and lots of books, all set in the same alternate universe. The creatures are all very unique and interesting!

These are all good suggestions for a Salvtore reader. Brooks is friends with Salvatore too, FYI.

I would start with the Sword of Shanarra - don't read the prequel. I don't recall how much is spoiled by it but I wouldn't recommend it to start with. Definitely a LOTR clone, but it was the 70's after all - gotta give the guy some slack. LOTR was big.

Lackey is a good read, especially from a Salvatore similiarity perspective. Just cause Heralds are as much a force for good and nobility as Drizzt. I would recommend starting with "Arrows of the Queen" and the other 2 Arrows books, and then the Last Herald Mage trilogy afterwards if you like that.

David Eddings' Belgariad/Mallorean is good reading (he has a good sense of humor) but his other books are all like clones of the Belgariad/Mallorean. Stick with the Belgariad/Mallorean and avoid his newest trilogy like the plague.

Agree with Weis and Hickman's Dragonlance books...they are still favorites of mine. Like Salvatore's Dark Elf books & Forgotten Realms - they start with a cliched world and cliched D&D-influence, but they write a good story despite the origins. Start there with "Dragons of Autumn Twilight" (the good stuff is really the "Twins" trilogy IMO).

I would suggest also Raymond Feist's books. Try "Magician" (paperback is often two volumes : Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master...Barnes and Noble has a 'writer's edition' version hardcover).

Robin Hobb really deserves a mention. I would say Tolkien, but one assumes him to be the natural top of the list anyway.

Yah, personally Robin Hobb is my favorite, but I'm not sure if jumping from Salvatore's action to Hobb's political intrigue is a great idea :D

Hey, Salvatore's not all Action.....You read Homeland right? I consider that to be a bit Political,a nd there wasn't much action in it :p lol

Totally agree with Ell on Guy Gavriel Kay. Might not have the sort of action you'd *probably* typically find on an AD&D book, but great stories and characters you'll love.

Check out George RR Martin's Song Ice and Fire series.

ds

You might like to try Lynn Flewelling's Tamir Tri. She is not finished but it is good so far.
Or Storm Constantine's Wreaththru. Both of these are dark fantasy.

Back