• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I started work for McDonalds yesterday and now i am suicidal.

chris.n

I dont know how much longer i can take at this joint..perhaps 2 months max?

13.5/hr.....so much effort

oh well...i made about $50 yesterday so now i can buy the book the hobbit ive always wanted to read and own :D

oh well...i made about $50 yesterday so now i can buy the book the hobbit ive always wanted to read and own :D

You get $13.50 an hour!!?? When I was a kid, I got $7.00 an hour. You don't have room to complain.:D

Think of the bright side, if you decide to stick it through and work with religious fervor, you could be one of the 1,200 owner operators who use to be front line employees, not to mention 20 of the 50 top leaders of the company who got their start in front of the register. If anything else, you'll have a good work resume and have a good sense work ethic. When I was a kid, I always outlasted the training class I was in. I did telemarketing and we would call "burned codes," which was a phone list that had been called numerous times, to the point that people were angry. We had employees cry and never return. I returned again...and again...and again....I pitied those around me who couldn't hack it, slackers.:rolleyes:

BTW-You should read this book should your desire to work for Mickey-D's goes downhill.:D

You deserve a hug! But I agree, $13.5/hr is pretty good! Mind you I'm from Canada and the cost of living is different than in the states... Just focus of the paycheque and keep a detailed journal. It'll make a great exposé some day! :)

$13.50 an hour!?!?!?!? Do you live in Portland or NYC or someplace like that?

In my day, I was paid $4.25. And I liked it!

And stay off my damned lawn!

Bravo!, bravo!

Don't forget to tell sonny about how you walked both ways uphill in the snow.:D

$13.50 an hour!?!?!?!? Do you live in Portland or NYC or someplace like that?

according to your date of birth, "in my day" probably meant low inflation and cheaper goods and services. now my day is where i live in the most over-priced city in Australia, Sydney.

according to your date of birth, "in my day" probably meant low inflation and cheaper goods and services. now my day is where i live in the most over-priced city in Australia, Sydney.

LOL

I'm not that old. ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_smileys_devillook.gif

You'll get used to working there. If anything, you can use it as incentive to find another job; after all, there's no better time to find a job than when you already have one.

Bravo!, bravo!

Don't forget to tell sonny about how you walked both ways uphill in the snow.:D

With no shoes ;)

$13.50 an hour is insanely good pay for working at an unskilled job like McDonalds. That's damn good money, and I'm not talking with the perspective of someone who lives in a small rural area. I'm not sure what the problem is though. Is it really just that there is a lot of work to do at work? Like others said, if you really don't like it just stick with it long enough to be able to use it as a reference and look for another job.

Edit- thought this over a bit, what is your minimum wage in Sydney? If $13.50 AUD is around $11. 89 USD, then while not as great as what I originally thought, it's still not terrible money. But what really matters more is how it compares to your minimum wage.

... $13.50 an hour is insanely good pay for working at an unskilled job like McDonalds...

But it is working in McDonalds, serving that garbage and having to tell people to: 'have a nice day'. There have to be compensations.

Take a look at the documentary Supersize Me. After that you will be motivated to take MacDonald's money but not eat the food.

I can top you - or bottom you - all on first job with low pay. The summer of 1949 I worked behind the counter at Woolworth's for 60-cents an hour. Before I left, they raised us to 75-cents because a new minimum wage had been established. I have been strongly in favor of minimum wage laws ever since.

Then, for a really miserable comparison of low-wage jobs, read George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London. Among other things, Orwell worked as a dishwasher in some pretty classy restaurants. After that experience, it was not only MacDonald's food he didn't want to eat.

About 20 years ago, I worked for a printer in the north of England. I ran his shop; opened and closed up every day, took orders, too money, took the float home to my own home (with the keys) every evening, took flack from unhappy customers and, when I had spare time, sold diaries to companies and organisations over the phone.

I was paid the princely sum of £60 per week. Before tax and National Insurance.

And there are people who sill think that a minimum wage is a bad thing.

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

awww.msdivine.net_theyoungones_mike.jpg
I don't wish to suggest your jokes are predictable, but there are as-of-yet undiscovered tribes in the heart of the Peruvian jungle, who knew you were going to say that.

what? is that dollars? 13.5

But it is working in McDonalds, serving that garbage and having to tell people to: 'have a nice day'. There have to be compensations.

I'm not certain why we look down on "burger-flipping" jobs, it is admirable when any person works hard at what they do and does it to the best of their ability. I've always been impressed by workers and managers who work hard and try to provide a good service. Those are the folks you know who later on, will do great things when they move on to college, or when they own their own store.

I'm not certain why we look down on "burger-flipping" jobs, it is admirable when any person works hard at what they do and does it to the best of their ability. I've always been impressed by workers and managers who work hard and try to provide a good service. Those are the folks you know who later on, will do great things when they move on to college, or when they own their own store.

Apologies if I didn't make myself clear.

It wasn't intended as a derogatory comment on service jobs per se or even on burger-flipping" jobs per se, but on McDonalds. :)

Apologies if I didn't make myself clear.

It wasn't intended as a derogatory comment on service jobs per se or even on burger-flipping" jobs per se, but on McDonalds. :)

I didn't take it that way, just saying that it's a common thing to look down on those kinds of jobs. Nothing wrong with Mickey-D's.:)

I don't understand why so many people have to hate on fast food. Don't eat so damn much of it.

But this is moreso about working there I suppose. I think it's one of those things that everyone should have to go through. Like a rite of passage for the modern day or something. Instead of going to war or killing our first grizzly with our bare hands, we should all have to work at a burger joint. That way instead of painting our faces with the blood of our falled prey, we will be painted with the grease burns.
It should have to be like the first time you deal with an irritated customer that yells at you for no particular reason. After you calmly deal with that customer, the rest of the employees come up behind you, wipe ketchup and mustard on your face and then make an X on your chest with metal fries and excessive grease.
Those who don't make it through the rite of passage get a mark of shame, like the symbol of whatever fast food place it is marked on their left cheek.

Back