• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I Want To Get Back Into Comics...Help Please...

BigDogBK

I would like to get back into enjoying comics, but, not go broke. Back when I read comics, I was buying 15 - 20 monthly.

Now, with a wife, mortgage, car payments...etc...I would like to find a few (2 or 3) that I would enjoy.

I figure I could catch up with TPB's then start buying monthly agin (or just stick to trades). I wouldn't know where to buy, there isn't really a local comic shop.

If anyone would like to offer advice and sell me on some books, please feel free to add to this discussion.

good website for comic reviews is http://www.thefourthrail.com

At the mo, personally I'm sticking to trades (and the industry seems to be leaning in this direction as it attracts a larger fanbase this way- all the Marvel stuff is collected in trade form only a month or 2 after the final issue of the trade is finished. The DC stuff takes ages, but generally more and more are getting published). Another plus point is you can get most trades from amazon.

As to what comics, it really depends what you were into before- there's a huge variety of things out there, and it's hard to narrow things down without knowing your tastes.

Just to recap on a few of the better old ones (everyone likes different things though):

Astro City (though there has been a recent mini)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Year One
Daredevil (Miller's run- collected in Daredevil visionaries 2-3, Man without fear, Born Again)
Preacher
Sandman
Swamp Thing
Superman for all seasons
V for Vendetta
Watchmen
X-men (Byrne and Claremont run- collected in B&W in x-men essentials vols 2-3)

Recently, there's been a number of decent comics. The Vertigo line in particular has been impressive, with the following:
Lucifer (sandman spinoff)
Fables : In Fabletown, fairy tale legends live alongside regular New Yorkers. It's a good construct with which to tell a story
Y-the Last man (every teenage boy's dreamt of this, but what would REALLY happen to the last man on Earth)

Other stuff that I'd have a look at includes:
Current run on the main Batman title
Gotham Central
Powers
Queen and Country (modern day espionage)
Sleeper (undercover agents, double dealing etc- out of the current titles, this one's one of the strongest)
Ultimate Spiderman
Ultimates (avengers reimagined)

There's more, butI'm getting tired of typing without knowing what your tastes are

Thanks for the info. I will check out the Forth Rail.

I recently ordered the first two trades of Hellboy. I have heard good things about that book.

I am also interested in Y The Last Man, 100 Bullets, Sandman (people swear by this title), Lucifer, New X-Men...

The problem is that I don't know where to start. I could buy Trades, but, I don't know which ones or how many there are.

COMICS COMICS COMICS

Well I have a suggestion, I have about 450 comic books of all types.. being DC, MARVEL, IMAGE and various others. I am looking to get out of the comic book collecting.

I am willing to sell to you these 450 comics for about 175- 200.00 so that you can begin yours with a good amount of comics..

Please let me know what you think.

Back