• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I'd rather read Dan Brown than......

SFG75

....F. Scott Fitzgerald, Marcel Proust, Saul Bellow, and anything written by William Kristol.

How 'bout you?:cool:

..this thread. :p Okay, okay, I'll play your game.

I'd rather read Dan Brown than...Connor Wolf.

I haven't been active in the 10-page Dan Brown discussions, but I dont think people think he's a bad author, merely that his little Jesus story did not deserve at all to be best selling for 3 years or whatever it is. I, too, could name 1,000s of other authors i would prefer Dan Brown to. But that doesn't make The Da Vinci Code worthy of it's popularity.

DiscoDan said:
I haven't been active in the 10-page Dan Brown discussions, but I dont think people think he's a bad author...
That's actually the main reason that the anti-Browns hate his work. Even a lot of the Brown fans admit that he isn't that great at writing.

MonkeyCatcher said:
That's actually the main reason that the anti-Browns hate his work. Even a lot of the Brown fans admit that he isn't that great at writing.
Oh.. well I knew I should have stopped in those giant threads. I read The Da Vinci Code and thought it was a well-written page-turner. I then read Angels & Demons and had a wave of dejavu.. it was basically the same book, but still well-written and a page-turner.

If they think Dan Brown is a bad author for reasons other than that he is extremely formulatic, they haven't read real poor writing.

Shade said:
Who's William Kristol?

He's an American political commentator who operates The Weekly Standard, a conservative magazine. If you click on the hyper-link, it will take you to his most recent column. I dislike how he forms his arguments and I find him rather boring.

DiscoDan said:
If they think Dan Brown is a bad author for reasons other than that he is extremely formulatic, they haven't read real poor writing.
Nope, it's more because he isn't too flash at writing ;) :D His books are full of grammatical errors, he uses italics far too often, he's preditctable, the books are heavy in contradictions, and he doesn't do his research (which he claims on the front to have done). Just add water and top this all off with his formulatic approach to writing, and you have yourself a poor writer :D

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that I absolutely loathe Dan Brown - I actually enjoyed The Da Vinci Code when I first read it - I was just merely introducing to some of the reasons why people think that he is a bad writer :)

This thread isn't about critiquing Dan Brown. It's about how you'd rather read him as opposed to a different author. Let me give yet another example-

I'd rather read Dan Brown than Stephen Coontz. After the Flight of the Intruder, his story telling just went downhill from there.

...Ernest Hemingway, L.A. Banks, Jane Austen, Cornelia Funke, Laurell K. Hamilton (this referring, of course, to her later work)...

...than read Death Be Not Proud by John J. Gunther. In fact, I would rather eat dirt or stick a needle in my eye before reading that depressing book. :cool:

Wow, a lot of venom for Papa. That's a shame. I'd rather read Brown than have nothing to read I suppose. If I'm gonna read that I may as well watch primetime TV and turn on top 40 radio while I'm at it.

Interesting that some folks mention Hemingway. The Cuban government plans on restoring his boat. I'll be sure to put your e-mails in to whoever is responsible for tourism in Cuba.:D ;)

I'd rather read Dan Brown than Jane Austen. That woman has a skewed concept of passion and love. Cold-fish lovin' is what I like to call it. :D Now the Brontes were another story all together...

Back