• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Inspiring books for teens

aube

I'm looking for books for teens that are fun to read yet inspiring at the same time. Can you help me? There are already books that I've found like Jostein Gaarder's The Solitaire Mystery and Sophie's World, but it seems that the teen-agers that I've recommended the books are not interested. They think it's too profound. Please help. :)

What exactly do you mean by 'inspiring'? Given you mention Gaarder, I figure you mean inspiring teenagers to improve their thinking processes.

I must admit, I found Gaarder too hard going when I was in high school. At the most basic level I think Judy Blume is a good bet for younger teen girls. Any diary-formatted book is also usually well received by teenage girls. The Diary of Anne Frank is most famous, but Zlata's Diary (diary of a girl in the Kosovo war - very good!) and Ask Alice are also good (there's a very recent thread on here about that one - do a search). There was also another one I read about recently about a school teacher and her class who were written off as 'unteachable' and they start writing diaries... can't recall the title.

Sorry my English is different. What I meant was something that will inspire them, something with values, something that the teens will learn a thing or two.

Thanks for the suggestions. Of course, Diary of Anne Frank, how could I have forgotten. I'm looking for Judy Blume right now. The people who are going to read are 12 years old and above. Thanks again. :)

I just read one about gifted teens facing a cheating dilemma. Not real deep, but it's a recent book. It's called "Cheating Lessons" and the author is Nan Willard Cappo. I have to say there are tons of books out there with moral lessons in them. Whole reference books have been written for teachers and librarians on the subject. Character education and moral education are the terms used for this, and you should be able to find lots of good recommendations using google.

My teenage daughters read a lot of jacqueline wilson books,there funny,witty,but with all teenages they have different tastes :)

ruby said:
My teenage daughters read a lot of jacqueline wilson books,there funny,witty,but with all teenages they have different tastes :)

Sorry, Ruby, but Jacqueline Wilson is my pet hate. Give me fantasy that sells as fantasy rather than fantasy pretending to be realistic.

So, it's fun to live in a children's home, if your mother is a victim of domestic violence all you need is an aunt that knows a bit of karate to put things right, and if your mother has a serious mental problem make sure you don't tell anyone and things will shape themselves? That is not inspiring, it's misleading and dangerous.

clueless said:
Sorry, Ruby, but Jacqueline Wilson is my pet hate. Give me fantasy that sells as fantasy rather than fantasy pretending to be realistic.

So, it's fun to live in a children's home, if your mother is a victim of domestic violence all you need is an aunt that knows a bit of karate to put things right, and if your mother has a serious mental problem make sure you don't tell anyone and things will shape themselves? That is not inspiring, it's misleading and dangerous.
As i said clueless each child has a different taste to the next,i was talking about my girls who happened to get into jacqueline wilson books at there school.its not my own taste in reading,its each to there own! :)

There are fantasy books that are misleading, sometimes too violent. But like ruby said each child has different taste.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. You've been a good help (and so does Google :D ). I already have piles of books waiting on my desk.

I actually have a copy of Animal Farm but I still have been thinking about it if the teens will understand it. I mean the characters are animals (which the kids will find delightful) but it's not even about animals. It's about politics and the teens who will read are 12-17 years old. 17 and 16, it's okay. But how about the 12 y.o.?

i think

people underestimate teens too much. I read 1984,brave new world and farenheit 451 when i was 11 and loved them

yes...

Kids are treated in too PC a manner today. Can't read this, can't read that - too violent, too sexually explicit blah blah... let 'em make their own minds up.

CDA said:
Kids are treated in too PC a manner today. Can't read this, can't read that - too violent, too sexually explicit blah blah... let 'em make their own minds up.

Define "kid" in terms of age please...I refuse to let my children make up thier own mind on plenty of things...

so, regardless of content, you think a 15 year old should have free access to any book they desire? Hmmm....It's hard for me to say yes or no to this....I'll have to wait a few more years......

Thanks for the line in the sand though....

Read anything? I would say so, yes. I was allowed to read anything I wanted, and watch anything I wanted. I do think they are capable of developing their own moral values instead of having them foisted upon them. This is what I did anyway. If they don't then maybe there's something wrong with them anyway...

CDA said:
If they don't then maybe there's something wrong with them anyway...

Something wrong with who...the kids..or the parents?

I'm not sure I'll be ready to hand over the reigns to my kids at 15...but as I said, I'm not in that position yet. I still have some control.

As plenty kids seem to want to prove on a daily basis...most are not ready for having free reign over decision making...think drinking and driving, think driving, think sex, think smoking, think drugs, think school....and that goes for almost all teenagers not just the ones around 15 years old....

Motokid said:
Something wrong with who...the kids..or the parents?

I'm not sure I'll be ready to hand over the reigns to my kids at 15...but as I said, I'm not in that position yet. I still have some control.

As plenty kids seem to want to prove on a daily basis...most are not ready for having free reign over decision making...think drinking and driving, think driving, think sex, think smoking, think drugs, think school....and that goes for almost all teenagers not just the ones around 15 years old....

Something wrong with both, I guess, now I think about it some more. And fair enough, you can only know what you'd do if your kids are of that age. (no kids of my own, but been in relationships with women with kids, but then, I guess that's a diff thing - I've always sort of treated them as young adults. young relatives as well)

Yes, agree with sex and drugs etc thing, but doing it is not the same as reading about it.

CDA said:
Yes, agree with sex and drugs etc thing, but doing it is not the same as reading about it.

But there's plenty of "reading and watching" that romantisizes (spelling?) all kinds of unhealthy activity....there's just plenty of stuff that does not need to enter into the mind of a child.

I'm glad you clarified that you don't have children...that was my next question....

Motokid said:
But there's plenty of "reading and watching" that romantisizes (spelling?) all kinds of unhealthy activity....there's just plenty of stuff that does not need to enter into the mind of a child

Yes, I see your point. it's one of those things that will run and run. like the whole violent video game thing - are people going to go and do this stuff anyway etc etc.....

Back