• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Interest in a regular Non-fiction BOTM?

Ronny

I think that there was a lot of interest in the non-fiction BOTM thread we had this month and it has been brought up that some would like to have this be a regular, perhaps bi-monthly thing. Is there any chance of us setting that up? :)

Ronny said:
I think that there was a lot of interest in the non-fiction BOTM thread we had this month and it has been brought up that some would like to have this be a regular, perhaps bi-monthly thing. Is there any chance of us setting that up? :)

I think thats a marvelous idea! Probably every other month would be perfect, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of books proposed!

And the variety was pretty amazing as well. :cool:
But to run in tandem with the present Fiction BOTM don't you think?

Great idea!.
th_Woo_Hoo.gif
I would definitely participate more if there was a non-fiction BOTM selection.

Sounds good here. I'd definitely be interested in a non-fiction discussion.
peder

Well hopefully, we'll get it going. I did like every book recommended for this month's vote and I've seen some good one's mentioned in Ion's thread, too. I have stuck mainly to fiction so long and just by chance stumbled onto some really good non-fiction books over the last year or so and I think there might be many out there that would appeal to a large audience and spark interesting discussions :)

The only problem I see is that with non-fiction works, to discuss things beyong the superficial level, you will have to dive into politics and discussion of public policy with a good number of those books. If we can't do that, then we're stuck with the mundane: "I liked it...."; "It was good..."; "I didn't like it, just wasn't interesting...." comments that will doom it from day one. A discussion on Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel could evolve into a "poltiical" discussion over the environment, capitalism, and labor. Will this be o.k.? Can the reigns be loosened a bit?

SFG75 said:
The only problem I see is that with non-fiction works, to discuss things beyong the superficial level, you will have to dive into politics and discussion of public policy with a good number of those books. If we can't do that, then we're stuck with the mundane: "I liked it...."; "It was good..."; "I didn't like it, just wasn't interesting...." comments that will doom it from day one. A discussion on Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel could evolve into a "poltiical" discussion over the environment, capitalism, and labor. Will this be o.k.? Can the reigns be loosened a bit?

I see your point, but surely there are many bios that would not fall into that catagory. Just for an example, the John Nash bio A Beautiful Mind would not be politically based, more a mans struggle with.....himself. Or something like 1491 or even authors bios. Loads of stuff out there without going political. If an author biography was chosen, his works could come into play. Historical non fiction, surely there is something there as well.

Perhaps there could be a "sticky" thread placed in the Non-Fiction section to query opinions of 'wanted to purchase' non fiction books, or something along those lines.
I hate to start a thread on a book I have not read, but might be interested in reading and simply want opinions regarding content.
:confused:
:)

Back