• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award 2008

Stewart

In a world where books come and go at a seemingly increasing rate, so fast that by the time the Booker, Costas, and Orange have been won, attention turns to the next year’s hopefuls, praise be to the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. This is one award that feels more laidback, if only because the titles making its longlist, as regards publication, are quite a bit behind the crowd.

Nominations to the longlist come from participating libraries worldwide, which gives the award a unique slant, since titles in other awards typically are nominated by their publishers. And what a longlist it was, coming in string with a phenomenal 137 titles. Who’d be a judge? But judges there are, and they’ve whittled down the list to a more manageable eight.
The shortlist for 2008 is:
  • The Speed Of Light, Javier Cercas
  • The Sweet And Simple Kind, Yasmine Gooneraratne
  • De Niro’s Game, Rawi Hage
  • Dreams Of Speaking, Gail Jones
  • Let It Be Morning, Sayed Kashua
  • The Attack, Yasmina Khadra
  • The Woman Who Waited, Andreï Makine
  • Winterwood, Patrick McCabe
Of the titles, half are in translation, which is something else that makes the IMPAC Dublin an interesting award. But while it offers up a number of titles that may have been missed first time round, there’s still the sense that in the fast moving world of publishing, the titles, no matter how timeless they may come to be, are a little dated. Whoever wins won’t care, though, as the prize is €100,000 (split 75%/25% to author/translator in instances of translated works).

The winner will be announced on 12th June, 2008.

I am reading the Woman who waited and enjoy it,slow and poetic writing,the more i read Makine the more i think he his one of the great writer of his generation.
I 'm getting Attack by Yasmina Khadray !

Back