• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Internet TV

kowalskil

I was told that buying a HDTV, and signing a long term contract with a cable company, is no longer a good thing to do. The better alternative is to watch most of the same programs, and many more, on the computer screen. The resolution is as good as on HDTV sets, or better. The name of this option is Internet TV.

Please share what you know and think about this option. Thank you in advance.

Ludwik

I watch very little tv but my kids like the cartoons Diego and Dora. When we do watch it is not cable/satellite. I watch Amazon video on demand and Netflix. No commercials (the best part), much cheaper, no contract and you actually CAN watch these on your television if you purchase a Roku box. We have one and it services both televisions in our home. My kids have never seen a television commercial and they are 3 years old.

Netflix is like $9/month. Amazon is like $30/year.

We'll never go back to cable/satellite.

If you're in the U.S. and have a high speed connection then it is worth it. Well, worth it until they start charging for the content.

FWIW, paid Amazon Prime members get free access to the on demand TV shows and movies. I'm still trying to figure out how to take advantage of that.

Oh, you definitely want to get a big-ass HDTV. Watching movies on your computer monitor is fine but is inferior to watching the same movie on a 40"+ screen. Plus with the HDTVs out today, they connect right to the internet. You can stream Netflix right to it.

Re the Amazon Prime. This can be streamed to your tv via your Roku box or your internet tv. You can also access their paid content this way. I've had an Amazon prime membership for years in order to take advantage of the free two day shipping. Well worth the annual price.

Oh and Roku also has Hulu Plus as well as Pandora.

I use my TV for my weekly watching of shows that actually come on TV(Breaking Bad, Dexter, V etc.)
I will however go online and watch something if my DVR missed an episode.

Now my anime viewing time is a different story. I like to watch my anime with Jap subtitles. I can't watch Baccano! on TV,so I just pull up one of my sites online and watch it from my PC.

Boxee Box

It acts as a home media server for whatever media you have on your home network and it connects to the internet and can grab content from the internet. Once I get it working 100%, it should be pretty damn nifty.

We just cancelled our DirecTV. We already had a couple TiVo Premiere boxes. They will do Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Pandora (not sure what else). So, far, I'm paying $10 for Netflix and will be adding Hulu Plus. But, that $80 DirecTV bill is gone!! The kids can still watch their shows and I can still watch mine :) Life is good... and cheaper.

Back