• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Introduction

R.J.

Hi, my name's Rod (or, well, R.J. -- either's fine), and I'm a proofreader from San Antonio, Texas. I just stumbled on this place and it seems like a pretty cool online hangout, which may come in handy during the dull stretches that inevitably come up in a job like proofreading. (Some might say it's one long dull stretch!)

Anyway, I read a fairly wide variety of fiction, and sometimes non-fiction history or essays. A fairly large chunk of what I've read is science fiction and fantasy (favorites there are Fritz Leiber and Jack Vance). Right now I'm on a kick of reading big Victorian novels, which I kinda avoided in college but have now warmed up to . . . I recently finished The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot, and right now I'm 300 pages into Charles Dickens' Our Mutual Friend. What a behemoth!

Finally, by some coincidence I already know a couple of people on this board -- Wolf and Ashlea, who went to University of Houston the same time I was there. Hi guys.

Anyway, so that's me. Hope everyone's having a good day!

-Rod

Welcome RJ :) Hope you enjoy the University of Houston Alumni forum .... i meant the Book Forum :p

Wow, did everyone at your uni read books, most of the guys at mine tried not to venture into the library too much (and two of them were English students!!)

Phil

Originally posted by Ashlea
OMG! ROOOOOODDDDD!!!!! HI!

Did you know Fritz Leiber's son is a philosophy prof at UH?

:) Hi!

Yeah, Justin Leiber -- I heard him give a talk once, about science and philosophy or something. I don't remember much about him, more's the pity!

Yeah! Hey Rod, good to have you on the forum. I haven't started posting much as I am in the middle of quarter end insanity, but it's always nice to have familiar voices.

Welcome to the Boards, Rod.

Quick question, though: What's a "proofreader"?

Anyway, don't be a stranger!

Cheers, Martin :D

Aha!! I know the answer to this one :p (Strangely that makes me feel inordinately proud)

A proofreader is someone who reads through manuscripts to make sure that they are no spelling or grammar mistakes (and possibly that there are no errors in the story (or whatever) itself).

Its a bit like a more advanced human version of your spell checker in Microsoft Word (and a hell of a lot more efficient too)

Phil

Welcome, Rod.

You mention "Mill on the Floss". Other than the school scenes and the drowning, I don't remember much of it. I'm currently reading one of Eliot's lesser known works, "Felix Holt the Radical". It is taking some time to get in to.

"Mutual Friend" is not one of my favourites by Dickens. It is a lot darker than many of his other novels.

Back