• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

It's the End of the World As We Know It

G4G

And I feel fine.

I've recently finished The Day of the Triffids. I was transfixed. I would now like to read more books along similar lines: stories about survivors in end of civilisation/world due to invasion/disease/nuclear f**k up/war scenarios.

I've sniffed around, but the problem is I know jack about this genre. I know about Night of the Triffids and it's on my list.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

I've got a few suggestions:

The Stand by Stephen King
Blindness by Jose Saramago
I am Legend by Richard Matheson
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (highly recommend this one)
War of the Worlds by H.G Wells

There's tons more, but my mind has gone blank at the moment.

Both these are written for young-adults, but have appealed to adults alike.

John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began (there are adult releases and young adult releases - the only difference is the cover): Tomorrow, When the War Began.

And then there's Isobelle Carmody's Obernewtyn series, but that may not fit your bill because it's a little more sci-fi/fantasy. I think it's still set on Earth, from memory, but it's not a realistic scenario like, say 'On the Beach'.

Goodness me! You people are fast! LOL. Thank you for your suggestions. I will be spending the next few days checking them out. Ha! My local library staff are going to hate me....:D

CDA said:
Goodness me! You people are fast! LOL. Thank you for your suggestions. I will be spending the next few days checking them out. Ha! My local library staff are going to hate me....:D

Why should they hate you? Your reading habits should represent job security! You are the customer..your tax $$ at work..feeling better yet:D

abecedarian said:
Why should they hate you? Your reading habits should represent job security! You are the customer..your tax $$ at work..feeling better yet:D

Well - when you put it that way! LOL:D

Librarians should be thrilled to help you! They should love it that people keep coming to the library to ask them questions. There is something wrong with your librarian(s) if this is not the case.

(mutters, I really have to teach some of my fellow librarians something about patrons - the reason they even exist)

KristoCat said:
Librarians should be thrilled to help you! They should love it that people keep coming to the library to ask them questions. There is something wrong with your librarian(s) if this is not the case.

(mutters, I really have to teach some of my fellow librarians something about patrons - the reason they even exist)

LOL:D. It's just that I hate to be a pest and have people rushing about trying to find that book that is listed as ON SHELF on the computer but actually is nowhere to be seen!

Kookamoor said:
Both these are written for young-adults, but have appealed to adults alike.

John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began (there are adult releases and young adult releases - the only difference is the cover): Tomorrow, When the War Began.
Oh, I loved these ones. I didn't know that they were published overseas, actually. I thought that it was just a NZ and Aussie thing.

I've seen those recommended before and have looked into getting them, but they are out of print in the UK. :(

MonkeyCatcher said:
Oh, I loved these ones. I didn't know that they were published overseas, actually. I thought that it was just a NZ and Aussie thing.
They're both available at Amazon.ca and Amazon.co.uk, so I just assumed they were internationally published.

Back