• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jack Ketchum & Lucky McKee: The Woman

lenny nero

The last of the family of feral cannibals from Off Season and Offspring is captured by the patriarch of a very dysfunctional family and is brought to their home and chained in the root cellar. What better way to explore familial relations than through the catalyst of a feral woman cannibal? I think none. :D

Being just a little over 200 pages I blazed through this one in just two sittings. Loved it. The film version apparently caused a bit of a stir at the Sundance Film festival earlier this year. Looking forward to seeing it. :star4:

I'm really looking forward to the movie - it's been way too long since McKee got to complete a movie. Did he cowrite the novel too?

I believe he did. On Ketchum's website, it says "written with Lucky McKee". I'm really looking forward to it too, I just saw that Angela Bettis is playing the mom, nice!

I loved Off-Season and Offspring, but I never understood why they did a movie of the sequel and not the first, and much better, book.

Anyway, I picked up The Woman on my iPad, I'll read it tonight.

That's NOT civilized behavior!
Boys will be boys.

I just watched the movie, and, well... I think this is the movie we knew Lucky McKee could make. Whether that makes it a good movie will be VERY much up to the individual viewer. Personally I more or less agree with this review, I liked it a lot, but for a US horror movie it's certainly unique in the approach it takes - if I were to compare it to anything it would be Kim Ki-duk's movies, where you're never quite sure if he's a militant feminist or an absolutely shameless misogynist. (McKee is nowhere near Kim in terms of cinematography, of course, but that's OK, it's a different genre altogether.) The Woman is a really strong piece of work, and McKee is quite a piece of work himself. Good to know there are still US horror directors out there willing to push the envelope a bit.

Finally got to see the film version this week, really enjoyed it. McKee really built the tension up to when you just know all hell is going to break loose at the end. The guy that played the dad was very good. :star4:

Back