• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

James Michener: Alaska

Libre

I'm reading Alaska, by James Michener.
At first, I found his style to be sparse, which is odd, considering the book is like 1000 pages. But once I got used to it, well, I'm totally enthralled by the book.
He starts from the geological formation of Alaska, through prehistoric times, continues through the age of the mastadons and mammoths, sabre tooth tigers, ice ages, eskimos, alutian islanders, Russian fur trades, Indian wars, sale of Alaska to US, settlers, gold rush, and oil pipeline. Skips 10,000 years here and there, but pretty much it's a continuous history of Alaska from its formation to the present day.
I haven't finished it yet - I'm in the gold rush right now.
This is not a dry history book - and all the way through, there are made-up (and some factual) characters, their adventures, their relationships, it's just awesome! People are born, they grow up, they have children, Alaska develops, their children have children, they get older, Alaska develops, they die, their children get old, they die, THEIR childred get old, and the passage of time is palpable.
One reason this is so fascinating, is that I was there last month! Some of the places described - especially in the gold rush section, I was just there! I can visualize exactly what he is describing. His descriptions are so good that I can do that even where I haven't been in the places he's writing about, but it lends an added element of realism when I know I've stood in the spot he's talking about.
Needless to say, I highly recommend the book.
It's a wonder.

Here are my pictures, by the way:
http://marcfriedlander.com/cruise_to_alaska.htm

I've had bad luck with Michner in the past, so I'm leery of trying him again. But if any of his books could lure me, Alaska would be the one. To cover such an enormous place as Alaska, it would take a book with that kind of scope, I think. Looking at your photos, reinforces my perception of Alaska, it's as big as it is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Sounds interesting. I might have to look him up and try one of his books. I've never thought of reading his stuff. I love historical fiction and History books

I'm reading it right now as well. I was a little hesitant to start it, as it's a commitment to say the least, but I'm glad I did. Not as super serious as some stuff I read, so a bit of a treat, really. I would consider it fiction, I think. The scope is breathtaking. I think I'll start War and Peace sometime soon, as I see the beauty of long epic works.

The only annoying thing is I'm reading it in mass market paperback edition, so the cheap paper and ink gets my fingers black.

The only Michener I have read is The Source, set in Palestine. I found his prose highly conventional and many of his characters are cut right out of cardboard. But I kept on reading. Why? He can really put a story together and his long view of history and of how one event gives birth to the next is downright enthralling.

Still pounding away at this. Up to the bush plane era. Thought the gold rushes to be quite interesting. Pierre Berton has a good book about the Klondike (Canada) and I'm going to give that a try next.

Libre, great pics of Alaska. I'm so jealous. Never been there yet, and desperately want to go. Did you do everything in a cruise package tour?

Hello - been away (from the forum for awhile).
Yes, it was a cruise package tour.
It was amazing - but all it did was make me want to really see Alaska - the way you can't see it from a cruise ship and stopping for a few hours here and there.
But, it was unforgettable.

Hello - been away (from the forum for awhile).
Yes, it was a cruise package tour.
It was amazing - but all it did was make me want to really see Alaska - the way you can't see it from a cruise ship and stopping for a few hours here and there.
But, it was unforgettable.

Maybe you could try a cabin in the bush for a few years. The Stars, the Snow and the Fire and Two in the Far North are great reads about really being there.

So is Into The Wild.
Read the book years ago, just saw the movie.
Very well done.

The movie looks pretty cool. I heard Eddie Vedder does one of the songs for the soundtrack. I don't think McCandless offers a very good Alaskan experience, though. :)

Back