• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jeffrey Ford

scooter13

I wanted to post this, and I hope I am not overstepping any boundaries. I also figured that it could be used as a thread to discuss his work. But Jeffrey Ford is doing a couple of readings with another author, Greg Frost. The "gigs" are on Saturday, October 8th. You can get the info from Jeff's blog/livejournal.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/14theditch/7728.html

I plan on going to the one in Delaware (I have been to that store a few times). This will be a first for me, meaning a reading, and I am looking forward to it. The reason I am excited about it that I recently read one of Jeff's novels, "The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque". You can read my review of it on my web site (which I am not posting a link to, since I already spammed). But in short it was a cool mysterious-historical fiction novel which was nominated for the World Fantasy Award in 2003.

To me, it was just a very well written book. Nice prose, yet not too much that I needed a dictionary. Well rounded characters. Some of the book is taken up by stories told by the title character to the other main character (Piambo, the painter). And there was much to do with a few mysteries, which all together made for very good reading.

Anyway, when I get home tonight I plan on starting "Girl in the Glass", which is his most recent novel. He also has the sci-fi/fantasy trilogy referred to as "The Well Built City" series. I recently got a copy of the first book on eBay, titled "The Physiognomy", which won the World Fantasy Award in 1998.

Back