• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jesmyn Ward: Salvage the Bones

753C

:star5:

Salvage the Bones tells the story of four children (and a dog) living in rural poverty on the gulf coast of Mississippi in the days leading up to Hurricane Katrina. The story centers around Esch, a teenage girl (maybe 14 years old) who has just learned that she is pregnant by one of her brothers friends, and also on her brother Skeetah who lives his life in devotion to his white Pit Bull named China. China as it turns out is soon to be a mother as well.
The story, the characters, and the sense of place in this novel are masterfully brought to life by Ward. I haven't read a story that illustrated the fragile nature of childhood innocence so beautifully since To Kill a Mockingbird.
I found out after I read this, when I was looking up the author that it won the national book award last year. I am not surprised.
I'm curious if anyone else has read this story, if so I would love to discuss it.

Back