• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jhumpa Lahiri: The Namesake

sanyuja

I read this book recently and loved it.
The author (or shoud I say authoress?) has a different style of writing which is smooth and unassuming. I was disappointed with the book initally, but as the story procedeed, it was very interesting.
The story is about a boy whose family is settled in USA. He has a problem-he hates his name! The story revovles around him, occasionally switching over to reveal his mother's and his wife's sentiments.
The book has a great ending. It ends at the right time, with the right note!
Has anybody else read this book?

Yup, read it. Liked it. I could relate to many of the topics she wrote about, having gone through immigration and all. Her writing style didn't strike me as impressive. Had no problems with it but it didn't wow me in any way.

I'm hoping to get it soon, I've made it to the top of the hold list at the library so maybe I'll get it in the next week or so.

txgirl said:
Yup, read it. Liked it. I could relate to many of the topics she wrote about, having gone through immigration and all. Her writing style didn't strike me as impressive. Had no problems with it but it didn't wow me in any way.
Do you remember the part where Gogol (or should I say Nikhil?) and Moushumi get seperated? Do you remember the part where Moushumi accidently blurts out demetri's name in front of Gogol? All this is revealed to the reader long after it has taken place. Its common to give un-necessary importance to such incidents especially where adultery is involved. But, Jhumpa Lahiri makes it look like 'yeah, it happened and thats it!'. Thats what I found impressive. Do you get what I am saying?

Sanyuja's hidden the text in spoiler tags to avoid spoiling the plot for people who have yet to read the book. To read the hidden text, click at the start of the black box, hold the mouse button down and drag it across the black area. The text will be revealed for you. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks, Halo, that helps a lot!

I remember that part. I guess by writing it the way she did, it made the whole thing less important or at least not a major point of the book, but if I remember correctly - I read this book last year so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy - Lahiri not mentioning it until later disappointed me. I wanted to know more of what happened after his discovery and she didn't really delve deeper into that. I understand that it was just one of those things that happened but my curious self wanted more.

I read this book last summer and loved it! She has such a rich, literary style that is a pleasure to read. Have any of you read her other book, "Interpreter Of Maladies"? It's a collection of short stories that won the Pulitzer a few years back. Also very good!

Yeah, even I felt the same, txgirl. I wanted to know more about how he reacted when he found out. Its natural for anybody to want to know more about such things and natural for an author to put more info than actually is needed. Just to quote something that I read recently, 'Anna Karenina'. It goes on for pages and pages.
But, Lahiri stayed away from it. She made it look like it is so negligent! Thats what I liked about her style.
One more incident that fits this is: when Ashima takes her first trip to India after marriage. Lahiri doesn't even mention it! Its just one line and thats it!

pwilson, I read the first story of 'Interpreter of maladies' and loved it! Couldn't get my hands on that book long enough to read the other stories.

If you ever get the chance to read it again, I would highly recommend it! The first story was actually one of my favorites, but they were all very good.

I started this book today and I am loving it. I've made it to the class field trip part. I really can identify with a lot with Gogol, since my parents gave me a name no one else had, many can't pronounce and most ask lots of questions about. I started going by Ronny at about age 13 but my real name Maudaevee still comes up all the time. I am interested to see how this all turns out for Gogol.

Maudaevee is not as bad as Gogo, is it? It sounds like a decent name to me :)

The story becomes more interesting as you read further, Ronny. It might become a little boring somewhere midway, but the ending is really good!

Once you are done, come back and post your opinion.

Happy reading :)

No, not quite so bad. As I've gotten older I have even liked my name a bit but when I was younger that was a completely different story. So I am really wanting to see how or if his feelings change about his name as he gets older.

Thank you for the heads up on the middle getting slow. I will make sure to post again when I've finished.

bookworm19 said:
The book's being made into a movie starring Kal Penn as Gogol.
Really?

I read this novel a year back or so, and I liked it. Don't remember much of it though, but liked Lahiri's writing style, so I might give her "short-stories" a try once in future.

Has anyone read anything by the Russian author Gogol by the way? I'd like to read some of his, sounded interesting through this book.

Maya said:
Its being directed by Mira Nair. And Tabu plays Ashima.

Maya said:
I read this novel a year back or so, and I liked it. Don't remember much of it though, but liked Lahiri's writing style, so I might give her "short-stories" a try once in future.
Me too. I read the first story in that book and loved it. Want to read the other stories too.

Maya said:
Has anyone read anything by the Russian author Gogol by the way? I'd like to read some of his, sounded interesting through this book.
Yeah, I want to read atleast the story 'The overcoat' :)

sanyuja said:
Its being directed by Mira Nair. And Tabu plays Ashima.
Planning on seeing it?

sanyuja said:
Yeah, I want to read atleast the story 'The overcoat' :)
Me toooooooooo! I'll borrow it from the library sometime soon, and let you know what I thought of it, (if and oooooonly if you tell your views too). :p

Maya said:
Really?

I read "Dead souls". It's the story of a man who plans to get rich by buying dead souls - buying serfs that had died after the last census (so for official purposes they were still alive), because a person had the right to get grants and loans from the government if they had a certain number of serfs belonging to them. The novel follows the adventures and misadventures of this con man, all the people he meets and how they react to his proposal. Great read

Back