• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jimi Hendrix - say it isn't so....Un-American?

His service to society was better performed at home, that much is clear.

Let's see . . . John Wayne WAS gay but he got to sit the war out because he was a performer. Go figure.

There's a difference between being gay, and faking gay. There's a difference between getting kicked out of the military because of what your are, as apposed to lying about it to get kicked out. I just wonder if there will be some "patriotic" backlash based on this information coming to light.

You love stirring stuff up, don't you. Faking gay to get out of military service is the act of a coward, but nothing he should be condemned for.

Robert said:
You love stirring stuff up, don't you.

this is the reason for moto. love him or hate him, he gets some interesting debate going.

you know which side i fall on moto.

Robert said:
You love stirring stuff up, don't you. Faking gay to get out of military service is the act of a coward, but nothing he should be condemned for.

Yes I do...and isn't "coward" a condemnation?

Just because he went on to become one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time does not excuse his actions regarding the place he ran off to just to avoid prison.

Had he not been "Jimi Hendrix" I don't think you would state he should not be condemned for his actions. A bit hypocritical don't you think?

jenngorham said:
this is the reason for moto. love him or hate him, he gets some interesting debate going.

you know which side i fall on moto.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it. He keeps things interesting around here.

Motokid said:
Yes I do...and isn't "coward" a condemnation?

Just because he went on to become one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time does not excuse his actions regarding the place he ran off to just to avoid prison.

Why does it have to be a condemnation?

Motokid said:
Had he not been "Jimi Hendrix" I don't think you would state he should not be condemned for his actions. A bit hypocritical don't you think?

Not so. I wouldn't condemn Hendrix any more then I would have condemned those men that went to Canada.

novella said:
His service to society was better performed at home, that much is clear.

Let's see . . . John Wayne WAS gay but he got to sit the war out because he was a performer. Go figure.

Where did you hear that John Wayne was gay?

Since when is the word "coward" not a condemnation?

It's probably one of the harshest insults a man can thrust upon another man isn't it?

Jimi was a car thief. He got caught, arrested and facing certain jail time decided to beat the rap by joining the military. Oops...bad timing, War. Hey, I know, I'll fake being gay to get out of going to war....

What in that scenario relieves him of condemnation. If he was a plumber that lived next door you would not even point the hose at him if he was on fire....or would you?

Motokid said:
There's a difference between being gay, and faking gay. There's a difference between getting kicked out of the military because of what your are, as apposed to lying about it to get kicked out. I just wonder if there will be some "patriotic" backlash based on this information coming to light.

Those who disapprove of his actions never liked him anyways, heck-they voted for Nixon and listened to Perry Cuomo in all likelihood. Speaking of, I think he's more of a hero than Nixon, Spiro Agnew, Gen.Westmoreland, or Robert McNamara(at least until McNamara woke up about the reality of the Vietname War and proposed a pull-out)

Motokid said:
Since when is the word "coward" not a condemnation?

It's probably one of the harshest insults a man can thrust upon another man isn't it?

Jimi was a car thief. He got caught, arrested and facing certain jail time decided to beat the rap by joining the military. Oops...bad timing, War. Hey, I know, I'll fake being gay to get out of going to war....

What in that scenario relieves him of condemnation. If he was a plumber that lived next door you would not even point the hose at him if he was on fire....or would you?

No condemnation. It would be a point of contention if anybody should every to declare him a great patriot. Nothing more then that.

And to take the bate, yes I would turn the hose on the plumber.

Motokid said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/15/hendrix.biography.ap/index.html

The guitar God of Gods...."faking gay" to get out of military service...hero or coward?

It doesnt change my view of Jimi in any way. He is still a Hero.

Robert said:
It would be a point of contention if anybody should every to declare him a great patriot.

I'm always amazed at the amount of time americans use the word Patroit. What in your opinion makes a true Patriot?

I really don't care what he did or said to avoid the war and stay alive, he was the greatest guitarist of all time, not even Prince can touch him . I'm more concerned about the whole idea of homosexuallity excluding people from the military- why?

And I know my husband would be very concerned to learn that John Wayne was gay--can this be true...I live in hope actually.

Zolipara said:
It doesnt change my view of Jimi in any way. He is still a Hero.

I'm always amazed at the amount of time americans use the word Patroit. What in your opinion makes a true Patriot?

We could discuss this all day. Understanding the price paid for the freedoms we now enjoy, it should suffice to say that someone that faked being gay to get out of military service does not meet the criteria.

Motokid said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/15/hendrix.biography.ap/index.html

The guitar God of Gods...."faking gay" to get out of military service...hero or coward?
You could make an arguement for his musics positive effect on morale being more of a contribution than anything he might do more directly as an actual recruit.
But then of course this is the internet, and you can make an arguement for any old crap.

Hope this helps.

K-S

francesca said:
And I know my husband would be very concerned to learn that John Wayne was gay--can this be true...I live in hope actually.

There are some rumours that he was gay or at least bisexual, but as far as i know its just rumours. Novella probably just mentioned it because she dont like him.

Robert said:
Understanding the price paid for the freedoms we now enjoy, it should suffice to say that someone that faked being gay to get out of military service does not meet the criteria.
As a general point I can see what you’re saying, but in this particular case it's hard to appreciate how Jimi Hendrix draft dodging the Vietnam War has endangered the 'freedoms we now enjoy'.

Kenny Shovel said:
As a general point I can see what you’re saying, but in this particular case it's hard to appreciate how Jimi Hendrix draft dodging the Vietnam War has endangered the 'freedoms we now enjoy'.

It's just like the vote, Kenny, everybody counts. Part of having freedom must include doing what is necessary to protect it.

Back