• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Christopher: A Wrinkle In The Skin

Mindcrime

After reading Cormac McCarthys "The Road" I was reminded of a book I started to read and never finished many years ago called "A Wrinkle In The Skin" The similarities are endless between The Road and Wrinkle in the skin, both dealing with a post apocalyptic world, both dealing with the survival of the fittest. Both books deal with a man and child struggling to survive in a world that has changed drastically, the search for food, safety, shelter, and hope as well as sanity and a new future after the event. The only real differences between The Road and Wrinkle in the skin was the depth of despair and hopelessness that is McCarthys book, whereas the persons in Wrinkle held more of a stern goal and optimism, it wasn't as bleak and dark like The Road, and that maybe due to the fact that it was written some 40 years ago. My main complaint if you can even call it that with Wrinkle is I felt the pacing in the next chapter after the event was to quick , (I'm trying not to spoil anything for you)
The oceans gone, the land is swept clean, everything has changed.
I felt the main Character Matthew was to composed to quickly after what he had just went through as well as the world, I felt the book could have focused a bit longer on his sense of peril and dread as well as a bit longer on the loneliness, hopelessness, and fear that would accompany such a dreadful event, It seemed to move him to quickly to a logical frame of mind, he came to quick to his senses, I felt anyway. But other than that the rest of the book was a real page turner and moved real well through the rest of the story. Fans of the Road should really give A Wrinkle In The Skin a try, you wont be sorry. 8/10 for me, like I said it had a few flaws but they are easily forgiven and forgotten about and the book though being 40 years old Never once felt dated. Enjoy, let me and others know your thoughts.
Cheers

It's just great. I love the scenes where they're crossing the empty seabed. If you haven't, you should check out Christopher's No Blade of Grass, I found it to be just as good as this one.

Back