• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Irving - October 2007 Author of the Month

We're a big fan of Irving from Garp to Cider House Rules - great book but the film not so great (lacks the depth of the book, obvious statement but it seems to lose something of Homer from translation to page to screen which is a great shame).

I just finally made a connection between "The Cider House Rules" and Irving :confused: ...

I read it about 3 years ago and the name of the book as well as the writer completely escaped from my mind. Only the story stayed in my memory. But after people in this thread kept saying "cider house-cider house-cider house" something ringed in my memories it finally made me to remember the book!

Actually, I remember that I kind of liked that book! I liked the strong views of the writer on abortion and how cynical it sounded that people who try to "save a soul" of the unborn children killed both the mother and the unborn child.

It changed my whole comprehension of the abortion subject.

And also on orphans.

There was an episode that stuck in my mind: when Homer Wells is adopted, the children of the family gather in his new house for holidays.
At some point something happens there between the kids, and Homer screams very hard. Everybody wakes up and run to see what happened. Irving tells something like "Homer Wells did not realize that only the children belonging to the family will be listened to and believed to what they say" (Can somebody find the exact phrase? I do not have the book with me now!)

And this is so true! I felt so ashamed when I read it! But this is the way it goes. I will always believe my kids and my family. Just a convenient truth...

I found this book so much unconnected to the "Hotel Hampshire" story that I never related the "Cider House" and "Hotel Hampshire" to the same author! This is why I could not make the connection between the "Cider House" mentioned so frequently in this thread and the book that I actually read! Now it comes out that I read two books by Irving... How surprising is that :cool: !

Homer is spending Thanksgiving with his adopted family and they have their grandkids visiting. Because the house is crowded Homer has to share a bed with one of the Grandsons and the boy tries to bugger him, here's a bit from the book right after the boy asks Homer if he knows what buggering is, Homer says no-
"Yes you do, Pecker Head," the boy said, and then tried to bugger Homer Wells. Homer had never seen or heard of anyone being so abused at St. Cloud's. Although the older boy had learned his style of buggery at a private school -a very good one- he had never been educated in the kind of crying that homer Wells had been taught by the family from Three Mile Falls. It seemed to Homer that it was a good time for crying, loudly -if one wanted to escape buggery- and his crying immediately awakened the one adult in the Draper household who had merely gone to sleep (as opposed to passing out). In other words, Homer woke Mom. He woke all the grandchildren, too, and since several of them were younger than Homer, and all of them had no knowledge of Homer's capacity for howls, his crying produced sheer terror among them -and even aroused Rufus, who snapped.

"What in Heaven's name?" Mom asked, at Homer's door.

"He tried to bugger me, so I let him have it, " said the private school boy. Homer, who was struggling to get his legendary howls under control -to send them back to history- didn't know that grandchildren are believed before orphans.

"Here at St. Cloud's." wrote Dr. Larch, "it is self-defeating and cruel to give much thought to ancestors. In other parts of the world, I'm sorry to say, an orphan's ancestors are always under suspicion."

Mom hit Homer as hard as any representative of the failed family from Three Mile Falls ever hit him. She then banished him to the furnace room for the reminder of the night; it was at least warm and dry there, and there was a fold-out cot, which in the summers was used for camping trips.

There were also lots of wet shos- a pair of which even belonged to Homer. Some wet socks were almost dry, and fit him. And the assortment of wet snowsuits and hardy tramping clothes gave Homer an adequate selection. He dressed himself in warm, outdoor clothes, which were -for the most part- nearly dry. He knew that Mom and the professor thought too highly of family ever to send him back to St. Cloud's over a mere buggery; if he wanted to go back, and he did, he;d have to leave on his own initiative.

In fact, Mom had provided Homer with a vision of how his alleged buggery would be treated and, doubtlessly, cured. She'd made hims kneel before the fold-out cot in the furnace room.

"Say after me," she said, and repeated he professor's strange version of grace. "I am vile, I abhor myself,'"Mom said, and Homer had said after her- knowing that everyword was untrue. He'd never liked himself so much. He felt he was on the track to finding out who he was, and how he could be of use, but he knew that path led him back to St. Cloud's.

When Mom kissed him good night, she said, "Now, Homer, don't mind what the professor has to say about this. Whatever he says, you just take it with a grain of salt."

Homer Wells didn't wait to hear the text of professor's lesson regarding buggery. Homer stepped outside; even the snow didn't stop him. In Waterville, in 193_ it was no surprise to see so much snow on the ground for Thanksgiving; and Professor Draper had very carefully instructed Homer on the merits and methods of snowshoeing.

The World According to Garp ** Spoilers **

Irving has written a bitterly comic novel about life and death.
The World According to Garp has many memorable characters and situations. It was not a page turner; it took me more than a week to read. I would get through a couple chapters then pick it up again a day or two later. The story picked up for me when Garp becomes a family man.

Death and fear, especially being fearful for one's children, are recurrent throughout the book. No matter what you do or try to protect yourself or your children, death (or something bad) will happen.

The reader also gets to know the author's view of the writing process, the publishing business, the reactions of readers and reviewers. I have a feeling that Irving experienced many of the situations.

The waveguide said:
So I read and waited for something to happen, page after page after page. But nothing came...
I felt a little that way about Garp as I was reading the first chapter; this is the first Irving novel I have read and it took a couple chapters to get used to his style.

domani said:
The sheer oddness … is very appealing, too.
I also liked the oddness – strange but not too preposterous as to be implausible, most of the time, anyway. The cross dressing for the funeral was a bit dumb.

domani said:
despite the large number of characters; he finds the right way to make even minor characters stay memorable and individual.
I found that true in Garp. There were many characters but it never became chaotic; even characters that appeared in a few paragraphs or pages were memorable.

I especially liked Jillsy Sloper's reaction to reading The World According to Bensenhaver (I felt somewhat the same after reading it).

"Most books you know nothin's gonna happen. Other books you know just what's going to happen, so you don't read them either. But this book's so sick you know somethin's gonna happen but you can't imagine what."

Garp's publisher questions her further-

"I guess I mean there's parts of it I wouldn't mind readin' again."
"Why?" John Wolf asked.
"It feels so true… A book's true when you can say, 'Yeah! That's just how damn people behave all the time.' Then you know it's true," Jillsy said.

The World According to Garp
Death and fear, especially being fearful for one's children, are recurrent throughout the book. No matter what you do or try to protect yourself or your children, death (or something bad) will happen.

There was a nice afterword in the edition of the book I read where Irving was talking about if he would let his son read the book because of mature content. His conclusion was that it would be better for him to read it so that he could understand father-son relationships. Irving has a lot of the feelings he put into Garp.

A Prayer For Owen Meany

This is the second book by Irving I have read.

The writing style was like that of Garp - a steady buildup of the story leading to the main event, the death of the title character.

By the time I was reading the middle of this novel, I was tempted at times to skip chapters to see if the story picked up speed (I didn't).

As with Garp, death is one of the themes. I liked the storyline better than Garp but not its length. It got to be plodding at times; being written with one hundred fewer pages wouldn't have hurt the plot or style.

Owen and his bizarre behavior is revealed and explained throughout the course of the book. Secondary characters were more forgettable than those in Garp but that may have been intentional.

A Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make a Sound

This is a children's picture book taken from the story within Irving's novel A Widow for One Year. It is illustrated by Tatjana Hauptmann.

A young boy wakes in the night and his imagination makes an unknown sound into a frightening experience.

Cute book but the illustrations could have been better coordinated with the text; an editing decision, I suppose.

There's a couple that I have seen, The Cider House Rules (I really liked the book and the movie), The World According to Garp (the movie was ok, had Robin Williams in it) and A Prayer For Owen Meany was made into a movie called Simon Birch (I liked the movie a lot too but the book turned out very different and I liked it better).

Thanks

Thanks brother for your reply. Based on your answer, I searched for these movies, and i love John Irvings, and don't wanna miss anything with him as possible, like i'm gonna book for DVD's of those movies in order to have a wider knowledge on him.

Back