• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jon Shannow and Roland Deschain

The Dude

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever noticed the similarities between their stories. Not that David Gemmel ripped off Stephen King, but that both may have been inspired by the same Browning poem. Even though I could not find any info on Gemmel story's connection to the poem.

I can't remember all the similarities, but here are just a few both chronicle a gunfighter's adventures from post-apocalyptic settings. The main character from the Gunslinger's name is Roland while Jon Shannow is member of the race of the Rolynd. Both involve tapping and moving through from other extra-dimensional worlds. In both books the moving through these worlds involves an invasion from another world. There are humanoids with animal-like heads in both as well. Both involve magic-based and science-based technology. I think there are some other similarities (I can't remember for sure because it's been along time since I read the Jon Shannow series), and they may be coincidental.

God yes, I can't believe more is not made about this
The similarities are huge.
Both gunslingers and sharpshooters, moving between worlds, magic etc.
Especially the Roland vs Rolynd thing really got me too
No one else noticed this?
Who copied who?

Thanks for the information re: The Mongoliad , I will look for it, have enjoyed Stephenson's point of view and several novels. Although I still enjoy book form, not a kindle fan yet. :innocent:

Back