• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jonathan Franzen: Freedom

Kiki5435

The Guardian newspaper called it a "modern-day classic" and "the novel of the century". President Obama read it on his holiday and Franzen became the first American writer to appear on the Time Magazine cover in ten years. The last, in 2000, was writer Stephen King.

So I'm expecting something very interesting. Has anyone here read Franzen and what makes him so good? I have never heard of him until now!

Can't say I have heard of this writer.

I guess if President Obama read his book then he must've completed reading page per page of the U.S. national debt and national budget. :whistling:

I enjoyed his previous novel, The Corrections. Big, long, sprawling, dramatic book about a disfunctional family with a good amount of humor thrown into the mix. I'm looking forward to reading Freedom.

I liked The Corrections, it's a fine novel, but I didn't exactly consider it one of the great masterpieces so I'm a little puzzled by the attention lavished on this one. But I'm sure I'll read it at some point.

I haven't read Freedom yet either, but I read Corrections and found it to be a decent book not extraodinary. I read somewhere that Freedom is an example of the post-postmodern movement....

Back