• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jonathan Orvin: Asset

Is the secret society described in this work believable?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Yes, but many years ago

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Doubtful

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In no way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was handed this book: a gift from a friend of my wife (a work friend who I'm told knows the author). In which case I'm probably now plugging the book. However, I did a number of years in the oil industry (before marriage) and have worked in a few countries, one being Siberia: so thought, “Uhmm, might be interesting.” It’s far more than that: it’s riveting. This is right up there with the best of John le Carré: it’s fiction but brilliantly believable. You’re swept into the plot early on by the author’s attention to scene setting, geo-political history, and character. I can believe it all: the smuggling, the money laundering, the governmental corruption. I know from my days in the industry (many years ago) that it was not unheard of to hire people after a chance meeting in a bar. I doubt it happens too often nowadays, but it's there and the only thing in the entire story that I had a tiny doubt over. The tension and suspense builds in the subtlest way until the protagonist goes on the run: from then it escalates sharply. There’s a clever twist at the very end, which tells me a sequel is on the way. I’ve not read a better spy/crime/thriller for a long time. So if I am plugging it, so be it. I won't give it five stars, but certainly:star4:

Reading it now

It's great, and indeed difficult to put down. I'm at the point where he meets up with Boris and Leonid. Rebecca is part of this story, and becoming more involved; it's the girl in me, I know, yet I feel that she should be even more involved: actively trying to help her man. What appeals to me is that the protagonist (young Sam) is not portrayed as some super-hero: he makes mistakes: he doesn't know exactly what to do and how to do it. Brilliant.

A thoroughly enjoyable tale. I finished it last night, and having slept on it I remain impressed by it, but … do aristocratic families (I don’t know) in today’s age still insist on their offspring marrying within the correct circle? That is the only thing within the whole story that is niggling at me. Rebecca is pretty messed-up: but hey, there are plenty of girls (I know one or two) that are in a far worse state than that. Having finished it, yeah – the plot and how it does roll out would loose its authenticity if the girl did scamper off to find her man. It could never happen. Also the family business, as a front for more covert activities is clever.

As said, the author gave me this book (FOC) through a friend of my wife: decent of him. I was at home, feet up, having just been set free from hospital. He knew (my wife - she could talk for England) I was in the oil industry. I've since met the guy, and said I was happy to post a review of the book on a few online book groups. What I've said, I meant. This is an impressive read. If what I've done has helped, I'm glad. I note from reviews on Amazon, there is more than me who think it. Good will out, they say.

Hello Mr. Harris, we meet again.
It's quite a story. I enjoyed it tremendously. When I came to the chapter about his parents I was left in total shock and disbelief: that I never expected, and yet it was put to the reader very early on in the book. It kept me dangling, I was not convinced of Sam's true intent until the very last minute; the irony of it, what he stole the secret service already had. I thought the 'White Knights' connection really heart-warming and spoke to my uncle (he spent a great deal of time in Russia, some of it during Soviet days). The one thing he would confirm is that the Russian is not someone you can cross and ever believe you will be forgiven. They are on the whole very superstitious: something else mentioned in this book. There is a book about a Polish boy trying to get back to his family from Stalingrad during the war; he gets picked up and helped by a family. My uncle cannot remember the name of the book, but said I should try and track it down. Also, he advised there are books by Orlando Figes which talk of things that went on under the noses of the Soviets. There's a review of the book on Amazon from a radio show presenter who has read the book and interviewed the author, he say's there is a sequeal to this. I will definately get that.

There is a sequel and a third which concludes the story. I have no idea where those books take you, I never asked and he never said, but when the second book is released I'll buy it.

I read this a few months ago and reviewed it over on the Just Finished thread. It was enjoyable, kept moving, and very detailed. Yeah, I'll buy a sequel.

I thought it had as realistic a description of an illegal's undercover work as I have seen. Excellent story.

Back