• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jonathan Stroud

Vespertilio91

Has anyone ever read The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. The three books included are The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye, and Ptolemy's Gate. I loved them all.

I especially liked these because of the main characters, Bartimaeus (a spirit of magic that is summoned by magicians on earth to do their bidding.) and Nathaniel (a budding, shy magician.).

The one thing that stuck out in my mind was the wonderful use of an underlying story to carry the books together. I also liked the superscript use. He would put comments from Bartimaeus in the bottom margin and add a superscript to where it belonged. It added a whole new feel to the book.

I really liked this author and hope he writes more. Does anyone else know him. Tell me what you think.

I loved the Bartimaeus Trilogy. Stroud has another book--Buried Fire, I think. I haven't read it because some other people told me it wasn't nearly as good as Bartimaeus.

I've read the first two books of the Bartimaeus trilogy and enjoyed them. I love the sarcastic footnotes from Bartimaeus! The second book seemed to drag a bit compared to the first, but I'll finish the trilogy.

I've read a couple of his other books: The Last Siege, which was pretty poor (I got rid of it once I'd read it), and The Leap. The Leap was actually the first Stroud book I read, and it was very good indeed. I would really recommend it. :)

Back