• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Journals

lies

Ruzi's thread kind of inspired this.

Do any of you read author's journals? Or even: do any of you know of authors keeping an online journal?

I myself read up on Neil Gaiman's every couple of days, and I know Poppy Z. Brite and Caitlin R. Kiernan have one... are there more out there? And which do you enjoy reading?

I haven't seen much in the online journal line, though it does seem like a good idea up to a point. Problem being, authors do not often lead the most entertaining lives. They sit at home, alone, at a desk. There are, of course, exceptions - I'm thinking Hemingway. And the best authors can make anything worthwhile reading. But still . . .

Other problem: when an author is not cranking out the next book fast enough for me, I get really annoyed when I find out they've been doing something annoying like, say, updating their webpage every day. Message to Neil Gaiman: write your next novel already! Can it with the screenplays, and radio plays, and children's books, etc! I'm suffering withdrawl! And I loaned out my copy of American Gods and it hasn't been returned!

I've often enjoyed reading author's letters. Jane Austen has some of the best. Also read Edna St. Vincent Millay's letters when I wrote a paper on her work years ago. Lots of interesting insights, especially for a poet since their work is so personal.

Back