• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Joyce Carol Oates

Smila

Best book? I go with "What I Lived For". In fact, I'd love to ask her to consider a sequel. Corky Corcoran isn't done yet!!

Wonderland is good - but, only in my opinion, not her very best. Its a huge effort and it will haunt (as does all of her work). I would recommend starting with "We Were the Mulvaney's". Its a wonderful work and it sort of eases you into her style of heartbreak and redemption! It was actually the first book of her's I read. I went out and bought all of her stuff after reading it.

I tried we were the Mulvaneys and Wonderland, I didn't really care for either. Something about her writing style in each just put me off, it's too bad too as many of her books had plots that intrigued me but I don't think I'll be getting any more by her anytime soon.

Something about her writing style in each just put me off, it's too bad too as many of her books had plots that intrigued me.
The only book of hers that I have read is Rape: A Love Story, and that's the reason that I didn't really like her book. I haven't really been inclined to read anything else by her for that reason either...

That's good to know, I think I have We Were The Mulvaneys here, somewhere, too.

I've got that as well. Haven't read it though. :rolleyes: If I remember correctly, I got it for free - that's the only reason I have it. I'll give it a go, eventually... :D

Jco Hits The Mark Almost Every Time

I have Black Girl/White Girl in my to read pile, really looking forward to it. Anyone else read that one?

HI DOLLYMIXTURE and all
Since you asked, yes, I read BLACK GIRL/WHITE GIRL over the winter. As is the case with most of JCO's books she takes an issue and runs with it. In this case it's college life, rascism, non-communication, fear of approaching someone who really has a visible problem and all of the ramifications thereof.

I've read all of the others mentioned and 27 others that she wrote. Some are better than others; some I cannot read because of their themes; and some are astounding. I agree that Mulvaneys is a good one to start with. Others I think are worth reading in any order you wish:
SEXY
I'LL TAKE YOU THERE (BILDUNGSROMAN)
GRAVEDIGGER'S DAUGHTER
BLOODSMOORE ROMANCE
BELLEFLEUR
MYSTERIES OF WINTERTHURN
ANGEL OF LIGHT
SOLSTICE​

AND AS ROSAMUND SMITH:
NEMESIS
SNAKE EYES
LIVES OF THE TWINS
SOUL MATES​

ENJOY!

I agree that some are better reads than others. I loved We were the Mulvaneys and hated Do With Me What you will. On my shelf and TBR list are Middleage and the Gravediggers daughter.

Middleage Adn Digging Graves

I agree that some are better reads than others. I loved We were the Mulvaneys and hated Do With Me What you will. On my shelf and TBR list are Middleage and the Gravediggers daughter.

I think you will enoy both MIDDLEAGE and GRAVEDIGGERS DAUGHTER
Would love to know what you think after you've read them. :)

Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang

Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang is one of my favorite Joyce Carol Oates books. It is about a sisterhood of five girls who swear loyalty to each other. Then one goes off the deep end. It speaks to the "war between the sexes" and celebrates the living of a unique life. Not for the faint of heart.

I also enjoyed Them, which I read recently and Gravedigger's Daughter. I love her writing style. Her characters are well drawn and I always seem to find empathy with one of the characters. I'd like to read everything she has written and expect I will get around to it someday. Her work is strongly recommended in my book. :)

I am about to finish The Barrens, by Oates (writing as Rosamond Smith) and I am really enjoying it. It is about a serial killer but very complex--it deals a lot with identity.

I've also read Blonde, which is the fictionalized account of Marilyn Monroe's life. Absolutely wonderful. One of my favorite books.

I tried We Were the Mulvaneys probably about eight years ago and could not get into it but now I'm thinking it's worth another shot.

I tried We Were the Mulvaneys probably about eight years ago and could not get into it but now I'm thinking it's worth another shot.

I really really liked We Were The Mulvaneys - possibly my favourite Oates so far, though Blonde is a close second.

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to try and get back into Oates after overdoatesing on her a few years back. So far I've read Blonde, Mulvaneys, You Must Remember This, them and Middle Age. Any suggestions on which of her 196 novels to read next?

JCO's CLASSICS

JCO IS CERTAINLY ONE OF THE MOST PROLIFIC WRITERS OF THE 20th-21st CENTURIES. TRUMAN CAPOTE ONCE CALLED HER 'A HUMAN TYPEWRITER.' IT WAS NOT A COMPLIMENT. BUT I CONSIDER OATES A CONTEMPORARY PHENOMENON.

I HAVE READ MORE THAN 2 DOZEN OF HER BOOKS AND HAVE 8 MORE ON MY TBR PILE.

MY RECOMMENDATION TO ANYONE WHO IS EAGER TO SAMPLE HER WORKS IS TO SKIP AROUND FROM HER EARLY TO HER LATEST. HER TRILOGY STARTING WITH A BLOODSMOOR ROMANCE, MYSTEREIS OF WINTERTHURN AND BELLEFLEUR ARE CLASSICS. I LOVED SOLSTICE AND RAPE: A LOVE STORY; GRAVEDIGGER'S DAUGHTER; ANGEL OF LIGHT; MY SISTER MY LOVE; AND BLACK GIRL WHITE GIRL.

IMO ANYONE OF HER BOOKS INCLUDING THOSE UNDER HER AKA ROSAMUND SMITH ARE CLASSICS.

ENJOY

I am currently reading High Lonesome: a beautiful and profound anthology of short fiction by Joyce Carol Oates. This is my very first reading of this amazing artist. Each story demands to be read slowly so as to capture her brilliance. The experiences we share in our lives and the close relationships we so highly cherish are so perfectly interwoven in her writings that her distinction as of one of Americas most important figures in modern literature is vividly clear: Oates is a master of her craft. An absolute enjoyment!

aphoto.goodreads.com_books_1166485814l_11778.jpg

Back