• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

July Discussion -The Diamond Throne by Eddings

rune

The Diamond Throne by Eddings was nominated for July's book discussion :) I've read very little by David Eddings, as he's not an author I've been able to engage with.
So what do others think of this book?

I read a lot of Eddings when I was a kid and thoroughly enjoyed them. The Diamond throne is about a knight called Sparhawk who has a quest to save the queen from a mysterious illness, of course caused by the evil character (memory fails).

After reading the this series of books I gave up on Eddings. Maybe it was due to the Belgariad being much much better? Or maybe I was just maturing and the plot and characters seemed too stereotyped.

I guess I would recommend this book for teenagers, or to someone who has time to kill sitting on a sandy beach waiting for the next cool drink or your lunch to arrive. What a pleasant thought takes me back to my travelling days, I can hear the water lapping on the shores of Koh Samui :) :)

Iv not read this one of Eddings but i did read one of his. I cant quite remember what it was called but it was unbelievably crap. I love fantasy/sci fi but i just couldn't get into it at all. So not going to read this one :D

I just got the book from the library today. I read the first sentence and almost put the book down. What's with all the words that can hardly be pronounced?

Catalyst said:
Iv not read this one of Eddings but i did read one of his. I cant quite remember what it was called but it was unbelievably crap. I love fantasy/sci fi but i just couldn't get into it at all. So not going to read this one :D

My feelings exactly :)

Oh,come on. I read those books when I was nine (now 14) and I loved them. Still do. Ok then, let the flaming begin.

I'm also in the negative camp. In my opinion Eddings perfectly encapsulates what is wrong with fantasy today.

Skaadi said:
Oh,come on. I read those books when I was nine (now 14) and I loved them. Still do. Ok then, let the flaming begin.

Dont take this the wrong way but your comment might reflect our different views. Its been a while since i was 9.

Actually, I don't think it's an age thing, because I'm 25 and still love Eddings. I find it perfect escapism. The writing isn't perfect; he doesn't break the mould of fantasy; no one can ever accuse him of producing classics of the genre.

But I find his characters entertaining. I like the black and white element of his fantasy - the fact that his bad guys can be seen five miles off. There is gentle humour, and some wonderful descriptive passages.

I do dislike some elements - the way his women are written is very one-dimensional. They're either cheeky girl-children; petulant princesses; or wise but fiery ancient women.

In the Diamond Throne, I adore the craggy character of Sparhawk. The rivalry between the four houses of knights is brilliant.

I haven't read this book or the accompanying books in the trilogy for a number of years, but I look on them fondly and remember enough to remind me that these are books I would return to again and again.

Sometimes I don't want subtlety and a hard read - these books can be looked on as somewhat simplistic, but I adore them. It's only a shame that his more recent books have been so poor...

Once I actually read this book again, I'll no doubt be able to say more on nitty-gritty details.

hmm... Eddings?

Never read Eddings and probably never will, after what I've heard here. ;)

I really love Eddings and all of his Belgariad/Malloreon stuff. The two Sparhawk series (Diamond Throne being the first one of the first series) isn't as good though, I have to say.

At his best, Eddings is likable, sweet, and good "comfort" reading. Nothing will shake your foundations though, so if that's what you're looking for, you should pass on.

I don't like the thought that some people will not pick up Eddings at all based on what a few people they don't know have said on an internet forum. It smacks of not being able to read a book yourself and make up your own opinion.

I'm partway into the book now, and it hasn't grabbed me yet. There are some books that I just can't put down once I start, and this just isn't one of them, for me, anyway. For one thing, I just haven't been able to develop an empathy for any of the characters, except for maybe the Queen. So sad that she's stuck in that crystal, but at least she's still alive. I am curious as to what sickened her and how she gets well. (Don't tell me.) I have noticed that Sparhawk talks to his horse as if the horse were a person, so the horse interests me. Is it strange that the main character's horse interests me more than the main character?

I agree with the escapism description. I agree with everything bad that has been written about the Belgarad and still like it enough to have read more than once over the years. Recently I needed some light escapist reading so I picked up this series (The Elenium?). I made it through the series but it is pretty bad.

I am now halfway through the book, and I've found a few more characters to interest me. The little girl Flute must have some significance, so I pay particular notice when she is mentioned. Loved it when she was riding on Sparhawk's horse. I am at the point where the four knights from the different orders are riding together. I may just be paranoid because of all the scheming, but I'm wondering if one of the knights might be a traitor. I don't know for sure, so I'm not giving anything away, and even if someone tells me, it won't ruin the story for me, so tell me. Yes or no. Is one of the knights a traitor?

I understand the reasons for not talking about religion on this forum, but if I were discussing this book in some other setting, I would talk about the aspects of the Elene and Styric belief systems that mirror real-life belief systems. I suppose it would be okay to talk about the belief systems just in terms of the character's motivations without bringing real-life factors into it. For example, do Elenes really believe in their "only one god" belief if they can see visible manifestations of the work of the Elder Styric gods? If this is too religious, I'll stop.

Does Sparhawk give anyone else a creepy feeling? I've been trying to figure out exactly how old Sparhawk is, and one line said it has been almost thirty years since he was a child. That means he was exiled around the age of twenty. The queen was only eight when he was exiled, but the book says the queen was someone "whom, in a peculiar way, he had come to love, though she had been but eight . . ." Now I don't want to read anything into that which isn't there, but the book does make a note to mention it, and I don't know what to make of it.

That's all for now. Is anyone else even reading this book?

I’ve read it, along with many other of his books and I like it the least. It just doesn’t stand out as much as his others did. It seems to lack some scope. I guess on its own merits it’s a good book, but not much compared to other books by David Eddings like pawn of prophecy and the rest in that series.

Bookworm:

In regards to the religious questions, I don't think it's inappropriate. Eddings has some definite religious ideas that he wants to express in his fiction I think, so it should be fine to talk about it. Anyway, I think maybe he's trying to say something about ideology vs. practice, or something to that effect. Maybe he's making a comment about how if religion gets all stiff with dogma and other forms of official ideology, then there's more chance for hypocrisy? What do you think?

KristoCat said:
Bookworm:

In regards to the religious questions, I don't think it's inappropriate. Eddings has some definite religious ideas that he wants to express in his fiction I think, so it should be fine to talk about it. Anyway, I think maybe he's trying to say something about ideology vs. practice, or something to that effect. Maybe he's making a comment about how if religion gets all stiff with dogma and other forms of official ideology, then there's more chance for hypocrisy? What do you think?
There are also the dangers of religion and politics being too closely intertwined. The characters, such as Annias, who only desire to promote themselves use both religion and politics to do so, and the deeper meaning of the beliefs can get lost in that effort.

I just finished reading the book. I am totally frustrated by the ending, basically because THERE WAS NO ENDING. I have to read another book to find out what happens to the queen. For all I know, the next book doesn't even tell me what happens to the queen. All I'm left with is a bunch of unfinished plotlines, so sense of satisfaction at all in finishing the book.

How can some people consider this a kid's book with so much prostitution, women exposing themselves while walking down the street, a naked woman on the roof, as well as the blood and guts?

Back