• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kate Holden - In My Skin

wilderness

As anyone read this book?

A description of the novel:

Ever wondered how ordinary, educated people drift into the underworld of drugs and prostitution? University graduate Kate Holden takes us there with brutal candour and occasional whimsy. Her battle with heroin leads to sex work on the cold streets of St Kilda. Her old life disappears, her middle-class parents despair. Yet as the habit endures, and she fails detox, she retreats into a tough cocoon offered by the somehow secure world of back-street brothels. Here she has the chance to rediscover herself. The no-nonsense descriptions of sweat, semen, swearing, shooting-up and scoring leave little to the imagination. But for more than just the voyeuristic factor, it's a hard book to put down. Perhaps it is those who most feel the world's injustice who are lured into the escapism of this life-dulling drug.

This is one of the most incredible and insightful books I have read. The language is beautiful and the desrciptions are...tense. She really builds sypathy for herself/her character in the novel. First memoir I have read.
Anyone else read this?
If not...I HIGHLY suggest you do.

Lani

Back