• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Katherine Kurtz

{Tigress}

kickbox
I figured I'd start a thread about the first Fantasy Author I ever read. Although I've been an avid reader since I read my very first Dr Seuss book, I shied away from reading Fantasy for one simple reason... I had no idea where to start! :eek:

With so many Fantasy authors putting out multiple books based on the same characters, I just didn't think I'd ever be able to find a place to begin with any of them. But, thankfully, about 10 years ago, I met some friends who were more than willing to help me get my feet wet with Fantasy.

The first book they suggested was Camber of Culdi, the first book in her Deryni series. I was hooked, and haven't looked back since.

After I devoured that series... well, as much as she'd written up to that point (if you know her you'll know she took her sweet time getting the rest of the Deryni series written LOL), I headed into her Adept series and like it almost as much.

I will admit I have neglected her in recent years though, so if someone has a complete list of her material, I'd be grateful to see it.

Her Deryni books parallels 10th, 11th, 12th Century England, Scotland, and Wales with one little difference -- magic (which of course the Church finds evil). The magic is loosely based on Wiccan rituals -- in other words, circles, elements, etc.

Her Adept series pulls something of that same magic and sets it in Modern Day Scotland and UK.

It's been a while since I've read anything of hers, so I apolgoize for being so skimpy in my details. LOL

What made her books stand out for me (apart from being the first Fantasy I ever read) was her character development. I swear to you that if say, Morgan, a supporting character in her first Deryni trilogy, and I were to meet on the street, I could probably recognize him within 10 minutes (even in modern dress! LOL) -- she's just that good with letting you get to know her characters. :)

Camber of Culdi is the first chronologically, The Deryni rising trilogy was the first written

I have just re-bought and started re-reading these books. Starting with Camber of Culdi.

Great stuff.

The major thread running through the books is the haves and the have nots, ie magic and who is the ruling class. to draw a simile Normans and Saxons.

Definately recommend these

Carlos said:
Camber of Culdi is the first chronologically, The Deryni rising trilogy was the first written

I have just re-bought and started re-reading these books. Starting with Camber of Culdi.

Great stuff.

The major thread running through the books is the haves and the have nots, ie magic and who is the ruling class. to draw a simile Normans and Saxons.

Definately recommend these

Oh yes, you are correct. And I actually did start with Deryni Rising trilogy (have I mentioned I have a terrible memory? LOL). For those picking up the series for the first time, I'd suggest they read them in the order Kurtz wrote them even though you go back and forth in the time-line.

I've already put her on my TBR list...sounds very interesting. Not sure when I'll get to her...as I have a rather big TBR pile and a rather long TBR list, plus I won't have an available library for at least another week or so.

In starting with the first she wrote, rather than the first chronologically, the series reminds me of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders.

When you get to her, let us know what you think. :)

I haven't read Anne McCaffrey yet, but I plan to get to her one of these days. LOL

Back