• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kaye Webb and the Puffin Club

daveb75

I was flicking through some old Puffins I'd dug up today, and was struck by the quality of many of those from the 1970s or so. They had one thing in common: those three little words, "Editor: Kaye Webb". The blurbs on the inside front cover seemed somehow far more literate than you'd get on the average Puffin these days - for example, Moominpapa at Sea (actually a very good book, which I'm enjoying reading again) was described thus (from memory):

"This haunting, moving, beautiful book is perhaps the most satisfying of all the Moomin adventures."

My chain of thought then led me to the Puffin Club, of which I was once a member, and its excellent magazine Puffin Post. There was some really high quality writing in there, and I still think it was a great loss when the Club folded - not coincidentally, shortly after the retirement of KW - and withered away as yet another school-based setup.

No real point to this post; just some pleasant memories of a woman who probably influenced my childhood more than most.

Cheers,
David.

Puffin is the juvenile imprint of Penguin, and probably the most important children's publisher in Britain. I assumed (obviously wrongly) that they operated in the States, otherwise I'd have explained. Here's their website:

http://www.puffin.co.uk/

Cheers,
David.

Thanks for the site. I looked around a bit to see if maybe I've been living under a rock in the wilds of Louisiana, but there's no U.S. site that I can find. So maybe, this once, I'm not necessarily ignorant, just unenlightened. That's a relief! Of course, if someone proves me wrong and they DO operate in the U.S., then my unenlightened state will again, sadly, revert to ignorance.

Am I ranting?

Back