• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kennedy's Brain - Henning Mankell

oddsocks

kickbox
I picked this book at random off the local library shelf, more to accompany a selected novel in case I finished it earlier than expected, also as backup to save me another half mile walk. How glad I was that I picked it. It is a translated Swedish story and although nothing appears to be lost, there are conversations and questions between characters that seem to be brusque, demanding, and lack civility. Other than that small picky point, it is an excellent read.
The story is about Louise an Archaeologist who returns home to Sweden, from a dig in Greece. Her proposed surprise visit to her son, Henrik, is shattered when she discovers him dead in his flat. She knows that the post-mortem decision of suicide is wrong, because clues that only a mother would know, leave her to believe that something far more sinister took place.
The path that she travels with her estranged husband uncover a side of her son's life she didn't know. Their quest to solve the mystery and reason for his death take her to Barcelona and a frightening journey to Mozambique.
Although the story is ostensibly about Henrik's cause of death, the author's underlying message is about the AIDS pandemic in Africa and the Pharmaceutical industry, and the short-cuts that they will take to discover the 'magic bullet'
I generally close a book if I predict the ending. Not with this one, it's got plenty of shocks and surprises that will keep you turning the pages.

Back