• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kindle Fire Is Sold Out Forever

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
FOREVER

Forever - YouTube

Kindle Fire is sold out forever, Kindle Fire 2 expected next week

Amazon has released a rather bizarre bit of news today. The Kindle Fire has completely sold out. You can no longer buy one, and the wording of the press release suggests there won’t be anymore manufactured.

Amazon press Release: Kindle Fire—The #1 Best-Selling Product on Amazon Since Launch—Now Sold Out

Not surprisingly Amazon is now selling the Nexus 7. "Only" $300. :rofl:

So much for my plans to pick up a Fire in October. Now I have to wait and see what happens. Oh well.

Fancy bit of marketing that. I bet you can get a used one if you are determined.

I am still not sold on the Fire. I don't want a backlit screen.

I don't see why anyone would want a Kindle Fire on the used market. I suspect that the Fire 2 (or whatever they are going to call it) will be announced and available soon.

And speaking of Amazon, Prime just got better:

Dear Customers,

Great news for Amazon Prime members—we've just signed two big deals that bring you even more high quality movies and TV shows with all-you-can-eat, unlimited instant streaming. The first is with EPIX and brings movies from Paramount Pictures, MGM, and Lionsgate. Enjoy Thor, Iron Man 2, and Captain America: The First Avenger, plus recent hits such as Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Warrior, Super 8, True Grit, and Rango. In all, 2,000 movies from EPIX will be coming to Prime Instant Video this year.

The second deal adds popular TV shows from NBC Universal, including past seasons of current hits Parks and Recreation and Parenthood, plus all seasons of Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, and Friday Night Lights. Prime Instant Video now has over 25,000 movies and TV episodes to choose from, quadruple the number we launched with in February 2011. You can watch on Kindle Fire, on game consoles like PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and on hundreds of TVs, Blu-ray players, and set-top boxes.

Amazon Prime is the best bargain in the history of shopping—and it remains just $79 a year. In addition to unlimited video streaming, Prime members enjoy Free Two-Day Shipping on millions of items, and over 180,000 Kindle books to read for free from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library. If you're not already a member, sign up for a one-month free trial today.

OK, that is a pretty good deal. I have been looking at Netflix but that looks cheaper. Anyone do a comparison?

I'm still waiting for Kindle books to be in Canadian libraries. Hurry up already!

Hmmm. That is an impressive summary. I have been thinking Netflix for a while, and really I think the only thing that would sway me to Amazon is the library books for Kindle.

If have Prime already then it's a no-brainer. ;)
Concur, even without checking every single other option available.
Amazon plus kindle plus Prime has suited us just fine - a pair of booklovers and heavy book buyers.

For onesies or twosies, maybe some other option, but I/we wouldn't know.

Answer me these questions three,
and there your answer will be.

1. Do you order a lot of stuff from Amazon?

2. Are you impatient and want it in two days?

3. If you get Prime, will you no longer wait until you have enough items in your shopping cart to get the Free Super Save Shipping and instead will you order items one at a time to stick it to the man?

1. I don't order a LOT of stuff, but I do order enough that it would likely make it worth my while. I order from both amazon.com and amazon.ca though I'll have to look and see if the Prime thing is on both.
2. I am impatient
3. Oh ya baby...sticking it to the man is FUN!

Hey, do you moonlight for Amazon? That was quite an excellent pitch.

No, I just had an idea how you think.

Anyhoo, the Kindle Fire's successor has been announced:

Kindle Fire HD: Better, Faster, Cheaper—Bigger! (Updated: HOLY CRAP)

The original is now $160. That's absurd. But the real news is the new HD model—and its big brother.

The Fire HD is a little sleeker and a little rounder—a nice change from the overly boxy first Kindle Fire. The large version of the HD has an 8.9-inch screen, to go along with the 7-incher.

It's Kindle Fire HD 7-inch is $200 and ships September 14. The large one is $300 and ships November 20. Oh, and the coup d'etat? The Kindle Fire HD 4G, with LTE and 32GB storage for $500. And the data plan for the LTE is just $50 a year. That. Is. Insane. InsaneInsaneInsane. It also ships November 20th.

It's also got two antennas for Wi-Fi, which smartly selects the one with a stronger signal, and less fading. It's the same fix as the iPhone's death grip. The Kindle HD will also have MIMO, which uses computational brute force to take all the signal echo and make it into something usable. That adds up to Wi-Fi that should be way faster than the competition. 41 percent faster than the iPad and 54 percent faster than the Nexus 7, according to Amazon.

The caveat to the $50 data plan is that it is for 250MB/month. I use 2-3GB per month for my phone.

Still, I want one.

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G - Latest Wireless Technology with 4G LTE

Two potential deal breakers for me:

1. Bing is the default search engine in the Silk browser. If that is changeable then I won't mind so much.

2. The lockscreen has ads on it that you can't opt out of by paying a few dollars more. I don't really pay attention to ads anyway so that is probably a non-issue for me.

The Bing thing is a big deal for me. Because Bing sucks.

Back