• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kindle Paperwhite announced

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
New Kindles announced

You'll do a double take when you see Kindle Paperwhite—we've added 62% more pixels and increased contrast by 25%, so whites are whiter, and blacks are blacker. We've also added a revolutionary built-in front light for the perfect reading experience whether you're out at the beach or at home in bed. Kindle Paperwhite starts from just $119. Kindle Paperwhite 3G is available for $179 with free 3G wireless—never pay for or hunt for a Wi-Fi hotspot. We've also updated our smallest, lightest Kindle with improved fonts and 15% faster page turns—it now starts at just $69.

ag_ecx.images_amazon.com_images_G_01_kindle_dp_2012_KC_feature_lighttech._V389693938_.jpg

ag_ecx.images_amazon.com_images_G_01_kindle_dp_2012_KC_KC_slate_03_lg._V389394767_.jpg

I wonder how the eInk with a built-in front light compares to backlit LCD.

Expensive. :( Just a shade under the price of a full Kindle Fire.

And we still can't get ebooks from my neck of the woods! :(

It'll be interesting to see how these things progress. I have the regular Kindle Touch/Wifi bit and it does all I need.

Still have our original kindle(s) here and they are still doing just fine in satisfying our needs. :)

Proxy/VPN.
You cannot do that on the Kindle device itself, right?

I got BlackMart and downloaded the Kindle app for my Android (did I mentioned I have a sexy Galaxy S3 that I luuurve?), but it detects that I'm not in the correct country, and so no way to get to the loot.

I could do Proxy/VPN on my laptop, but I don't read ebooks on my computer. That's like sacrilegious, reading ebooks on the computer. :)

You diehard traditionalist.
LOL! That's me! :)

No but if you have your router set up to use a VPN/Proxy then it shouldn't be a problem.

You know, I never thought of that. :) And they say you can't learn about computers in a book forum.

I will give this a think. I'm hampered by the fact that while I can fool the wifi in the house that I stay in the States, the moment I walk out of the house I don't know what sort of services will cease to work correctly.

I'm thinking of getting the Kindle soon, then maybe it will start to make sense!

I will give this a think. I'm hampered by the fact that while I can fool the wifi in the house that I stay in the States, the moment I walk out of the house I don't know what sort of services will cease to work correctly.

They will revert to whatever behavior they currently exhibit.

I wonder how the eInk with a built-in front light compares to backlit LCD.
If it works as advertised, it should work a lot better for the application. The backlit LCD gets washed out under bright light or sunlight. And LCD screens aren't as easy on the eye as the Kindle e ink display. Watching a LCD panel - TV, computer, iPad, it isn't easy to fall asleep right away. Kindle is like a book, put it down and turn off the lights, and you don't have the panel images still floating in your brain.

Back