• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lathe of Heaven

Ell

Has anyone see this made-for-TV adaptation? It's being shown on A & E here this week.

I missed the first half hour, so don't know how well the plot was set up.

Ell

The beginning, if I remember correctly, goes like this:

Orr is in trouble because he bought more sleeping pills than his pharmacy card allows him to (everybody is closely monitored). He's very poor, lives in a dingy room. The man who ends up being the concierge of his apartment building is his best friend, they often play chess together. . Heather Lelache works in a small cubicle but I think she's not a lawyer at this point just a social worker (though I'm not sure about this part). She sends him to a psychiatrist (which is mendatory when somebody takes too much medecine). Orr tells the psychatrist about his problem: he is afraid of dreaming because everytimes he dreams, the reality is altered, he "loses" people who are important for him by dreaming them away. He tells the most vivid dream he remembers from when he was young. An aunt had come to stay with him and his mom and had tried to seduce him: he dreamt his aunt was dead in a car crash. When he woke up, it turned out the aunt never stayed with them at all and had been dead many years... The psychiatrist apparently doesn't believe him, but when he puts him under hypnosis, he suggests Orr a dream where life is better for him, just in case (bigger office, fame, etc.). Everytime Orr wakes up he is the only one to notice something has changed but even if the shrink doesn't notice anything, he keeps asking for better things... Other things than what the shrink asks for change: picture on the wall, fashion, relationship Orr has with the people around him, etc. I think you've seen it from there. Hope it was helpful...

I really liked it, for a small budget TV production, it was really good!:)

Ell or Marie or anyone, is this a remake? I mean this movie sounds awfully familiar, like I have definitely seen it somewhere before--a long time ago. I would love to read the book...I'm assuming there's a book.

I would love to read the book...I'm assuming there's a book.
Yes, Lathe of Heaven is a book by Ursula K. Le Guin. Excellent book - one of my favourite sci-fi classics.

Internet Movie db shows another version made in 1980 as a PBS movie.

Ell

Well, if the new one is anything like the old one you're in for a treat. Even the low-budget PBS version was great! Oh, and thanks for the info on the book! (Can I use two exclamation points in one post?);)

I didn't read the book, but checked out the 1979-80(?) version because of this thread. I really enjoyed the story, but not the execution. It was very slow moving and lots of very dated music. Very 1970's TV music. Anyway, I guess I'll have to read the book. I'd like to see the A&E version to see if they did a better job.

Dawn I can honestly recommend the book now because I finished it. Couldn't put the thing down--literally. If the rest of her books are anywhere near as good as this one I think she's got a new fan. (I've seen the movie--the 70's version a time or two--no comparison to the book, as usual.)

Prolixic, so glad you liked Lathe of Heaven. I couldn't put it down either. You might also want to try "The Dispossesed" or "The Left Hand of Darkness" by Le Guin.

Dawn, the book is MUCH better than the movie adaptations.

Ell

Back