• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lawrence Block

Geenh

I just finished another one of his books... one in the Scudder series. I like his books because the stories are great, the titles interesting, the conversations vibrant and what easy, easy reading! Cotton candy (fairy floss) for the mind!

Anyone else read his books? He's been writing for about 40 years or so.

I've read most of the Bernie Rhodenbarr (sp.?) series.
As you say, they are pretty light reading - not that there is anything wrong with that. My only complaint would be that the series tended to get a little formulaic, and the trademark banter a little forced. But then, I suppose that convincing witty banter must be one of the hardest things to capture in writing.
The series reminded me quite a bit of the of Jonathan Gash's "Lovejoy" series. Lovejoy, like Bernie, fits into that "cranky, ne'er-do-well with a heart of gold" mold.

Actually, one of the things I like is the conversational mode of the story. Never polished or exact in grammar, but like real people having a conversation.

Block has written about 100 books (as I found when I printed out his bibliography this evening) and I only have about 25!

I was looking at another thread today in which people were talking about Lawrence Block, and so I thought that I would revive this thread because I was interested in what they were saying.

I have never read one of his books, but I am now interested in doing so, so for those of you who /have/ read Block, what would you recommend as the book that I should read first? Any help would be appreciated :D

I have only read the one, namely The Burglar who Could Paint Like Mondrian and I enjoyed it immensely. However, it wouldn't surprise me that Linda turns up here shortly with a recommendation, because she is the one who recommended the Bernie Rhodenbarr series to me.
Peder

Peder said:
However, it wouldn't surprise me that Linda turns up here shortly with a recommendation, because she is the one who recommended the Bernie Rhodenbarr series to me.
Peder
Yeah, I was hoping that she would. That was the thread that I was talking about :)

Lawrence Block Website!

Hello all!
I could talk for hours about Lawrence Block! I haven't read all his books and I don't know all of his characters. The first one I read was Tanner on Ice... well, read it and see what you think. Block has a number of characters but I basically got hooked on Matt Scudder and Bernie Rhodenbarr. Of course, they ARE light reading but very funny. The thing to remember is like any humour, it wears a bit thin after a while. I think the thing to do is to pace yourself. I think it is VERY easy to get hooked. If, however, you live in NY, you may find that he has been snapped up in all the local bookshops thanks to Peder!! :D
If you are interested and have not already found it for yourself, this is a good website to browse...
http://www.lawrenceblock.com/index_flash.htm
and I fully intend to get round to putting it on a thread I saw the other day, about authors' websites. However, if you get there before me, please feel free to add it!
Linda
PS I just finished The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart and I'm presently resisting the temptation to dive straight into The Burglar Who Traded Ted Williams. I find the titles alone irresistable don't you? :D

MonkeyCatcher said:
Yeah, I was hoping that she would. That was the thread that I was talking about :)

lindaj07 said:
Hello all!
... If, however, you live in NY, you may find that he has been snapped up in all the local bookshops thanks to Peder!! :D

Hey, Linda!
Glad to see you made it over here! :)
Now I am going to have to go out and find one!
As for the bookstores in NYC being out, I hear that it is a rage that is now sweeping the world. :D

Peder

Thank you Monkey Catcher for re-opening this thread!

Peder said:
Hey, Linda!
As for the bookstores in NYC being out, I hear that it is a rage that is now sweeping the world. :D

Peder

Hello again
I heard something like that on the tea time news headlines!! Oh No! Have a started a rumour now?? :D
I forgot to thank Monkey Catcher for re-opening this thread as well as Peder for pointing it out to me!

lindaj07 said:
The first one I read was Tanner on Ice... well, read it and see what you think.
Thanks for the recommendation, I most definately will. I really like the sound of his books :)

If, however, you live in NY, you may find that he has been snapped up in all the local bookshops thanks to Peder!! :D
No need to worry.. I don't really live in a very close proximity to NYC ;)

If you are interested and have not already found it for yourself, this is a good website to browse...
http://www.lawrenceblock.com/index_flash.htm
Thanks for the link :D

I find the titles alone irresistable don't you? :D
The titles were actually one of the things that first attracted me to the books. Very unique.

MonkeyCatcher said:
No need to worry.. I don't really live in a very close proximity to NYC ;)

Ahah! MonkeyCatcher, I see now that you are in NZ not NY! Close alphabetically but not at all geographically. :eek:

I have been thinking that we could have a transcontinental discussion group on Block? What do you all think? Not sure how we organise it, (not too tightly, I hope) but the potential is there... Let me know if you agree/have any ideas? I have to admit I have never done anything like this before...
Linda

lindaj07 said:
I have been thinking that we could have a transcontinental discussion group on Block? What do you all think? Not sure how we organise it, (not too tightly, I hope) but the potential is there... Let me know if you agree/have any ideas? I have to admit I have never done anything like this before...
Linda
Can't say that I have either, but it would most definately be interesting :) I'll start on Tanner on Ice ASAP - I've pushed it waayyy up to be third on my TBR list, so it shouldn't be long :)

Hi all
Maybe I misled you MonkeyCatcher, when I said I started with Tanner on Ice. This is true but I much prefer the Bernie Rhodenbarr or Matthew Scudder series. Bernie features in the Burglar... series. I just wanted to clear that up but decide for yourself of course!! I got The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian the other day and will begin reading that as soon as I get a chance. Please let me know what you think? I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you decide to start with.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Can't say that I have either, but it would most definately be interesting :) I'll start on Tanner on Ice ASAP - I've pushed it waayyy up to be third on my TBR list, so it shouldn't be long :)

lindaj07 said:
Hi all
Maybe I misled you MonkeyCatcher, when I said I started with Tanner on Ice. This is true but I much prefer the Bernie Rhodenbarr or Matthew Scudder series. Bernie features in the Burglar... series. I just wanted to clear that up but decide for yourself of course!! I got The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian the other day and will begin reading that as soon as I get a chance. Please let me know what you think? I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you decide to start with.
I think I'd like to start with the Burglar series.. I've heard a lot of good things about it. Back to editing my TBR list, I guess :rolleyes: :D

I'm assuming the first book in the series is The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian? I've tried searching, but I can't seem to find the name of the first book

Not sure which is the first but you can check on this site if you like...
I don't know that it matters much with the Burglar series as he doesn't seem to age. Anyway, you will find the order of the series here:

www.lawrenceblock.com/

I just finished Mondrian... still laughing!

MonkeyCatcher said:
I think I'd like to start with the Burglar series.. I've heard a lot of good things about it. Back to editing my TBR list, I guess :rolleyes: :D

I'm assuming the first book in the series is The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian? I've tried searching, but I can't seem to find the name of the first book

I just finished The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian. What a great read! So witty! Very smart! Everytime I finish one of Block's books, I think it is better than the last one! I will pace myself now and wait a week or two before starting "The Burglar Who Traded Ted Williams". Don't you just love the titles? :D

For Peder and anyone else who lives in NY and is interested...
I forgot to mention that on the Lawrence Block website there is a list of
bookshops (2 in NYC and 1 somewhere else) who sell SIGNED copies of his books. As for the names of the bookstores, we have nothing like that here: Mysterious Bookshop; Partners & Crime and (saving the best till last) The Poisoned Pen! :D Seriously, though, wouldn't that be a great Christmas present or so?

No! That is not a subtle hint! OK then, maybe a small one!

I'm halfway through The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian and I like it, but I agree that too much of this would wear thin. I think I'll read Block in between other books, sort of like a wine taster eating a cracker to cleanse her palate.

Good to hear you're enjoying ... Modrian!

Miss Shelf said:
I'm halfway through The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian and I like it, but I agree that too much of this would wear thin. I think I'll read Block in between other books, sort of like a wine taster eating a cracker to cleanse her palate.

I finished it the same day I posted that and forgot to post! I liked it, it was clever without being precious or over-sophisticated. Gonna look for others. :)

Back