• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lemony Snicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Rogue

I'm making up my mind about reading these books. Can anyone tell me if they are good and fit to be read by an adult?
How long have these been around anyway?

Thx & Cheers :D

I've only read the first book, the whole series coming to my attention as a result of the movie (which apparently is the first THREE books). I found it fun in sort of a perverse way. To some adults, the "definitions" might be distracting. The narrator is one of the characters, and speaks directly to the reader, defining words that might be too hard for a young reader. On the other hand, I found it amusing when a simple word would be explained by a larger, and often obscure word. It was a cute concept, in my opinion.

I enjoyed the characterization quite a bit. Some people found the plot to be juvenile and contrived, but I didn't have any problem with it. I saw the ending coming a mile away, but it didn't bother me. I was a little annoyed with the character of the Justice, though. She seemed far too fluffy to be a judge in America or England, and I felt she should have caught on to things much better. In today's world, where even a hint of impropriety brings down the full weight of the child-protection industry, the complete lack of concern for the plight of the kids was a little jarring. Of course, it is told TO children, who often feel helpless in the face of the world of adults.

The "overview" style is a little odd for me. It's the same style used in "Skipping Christmas" by Grisham (the basis for the movie, "Christmas With The Kranks"). It sort of read like a 100 page synopsis of a book, rather than the book itself! It left me with that same impression as a book read long ago, where you remember the basic story, but the details escape you without going back and looking. Trouble it -- there aren't any details to go back TO.

But it's a perfect book for imaginative children, and adults who are looking for an "easy" read. Each book is only about 100 pages, and feels like about 30. I probably will drop by the library for the next one (not quite worth purchasing, because they're hardback and sort of pricey for kids books). But they're similar to a sour ball candy. You're tired of it when it's done, but you still pop in another one when it's gone. :D

I enjoyed them very much, and wasn't exactly a kid when I read them. They're cute and perverse. Very enjoyable. You are better off borrowing than buying though, I own the first two but borrowed the rest, and I'll hit the library eventually for the last one. The author has a very unique writing style, the books are definately worth it.

It is a pleasant thing to read the series, but it is a bit annoying when the author, taking part in the story, keeps on saying that the three Baudelaire youngsters will continuously be confronting hardships. He even says that "There will be no happy ending, no happy beginning, or happy things happen in the middle because there are very few happy things happen in the life of those children". I find it not true because even in the very first book, The Bad Beginning, the children find some joy reading books in the library of Justice Strauss, who is so kind to them. That can be considered something pleasant. I think the author is just trying to create a sense of sadness upon young readers, primary school children perhaps?, to make them keep on readers, instead of putting the books down as warned.

In conclusion, I would recommend the series. It is a very easy, yet good, read. You may find yourselves a bit adventurous and juvenile again if you choose to read it, even though you may have already been adults. One suggestion: You might as well want to watch the movie. It is good. Liam Aiken, as Klaus Baudelaire, acts very wonderfully. The baby, Sunny Baudelaire, may make you enjoy a few chuckles of yours.

I cannot wait to read the next book in the series.

How many actually are there?I saw 11 in the stores.Is that one the last if not does anyone know how many there are supposed to be?

There is assumption that it takes 13 books to complete the whole series. This makes quite a lot of sense because each book contains 13 chapters. Plus, I think 13 books should be enough "unfortunate" to end the series. ;)

13 Books
13 Chapters in each
Countless Unfortunate Events.

I find these books quite amusing and each one will keep me busy for around 1 - 2 days. I have curently read the first four and am rather liking them. They are very simple and the world it is set in is like no other country from any other time period I can think of!

Shael Crowtalon said:
13 Books
13 Chapters in each
Countless Unfortunate Events.

I find these books quite amusing and each one will keep me busy for around 1 - 2 days. I have curently read the first four and am rather liking them. They are very simple and the world it is set in is like no other country from any other time period I can think of!

Somewhere from 17th century to 19th century, I'd assume.

Rogue said:
I'm making up my mind about reading these books. Can anyone tell me if they are good and fit to be read by an adult?
How long have these been around anyway?

Thx & Cheers :D

I love these books, I'm not sure if they are adult stuff but I think (as a mature-ish 17 year old) they are amazing!

I think they are set in the 1920's

There are going to be 13 books, I've read the first 11 (not including the unauthorised autobiography which you should read if you are following the clues manically like me :D ). The first book was released in 1999 ... that's 15 books in 6 years!

Alice

I love 'em. Not as good as some others, but I like having a series to read. 11 are currently out. I heard somewhere that there will be 26 books, one for each letter of the alphabet (not in order) but I don't know if that's true. I get a kick out of the definitions that the author gives for 'big' words because they're not real definitions, they're definitions of the word in the context.

I like how the author's persona is involved in the story. In each book a few more hints are dropped, and I think in the end he's going to be a real part of the story. Just for background--these books are all separate stories, but there are plot elements that continue through all of them. i would recommend reading them in order. I'm just going to start the 11th book today.

I thought they were enjoyable. They're the type of books you read when you just want something short and fun. Over all they aren't the best, certainly no where near there, but light and fun, as I said before.

I agree

Pearl said:
They're the type of books you read when you just want something short and fun.
I agree. They are the type of book an enthusiastic reader would read when on a long car trip or waiting for a dentist appointment. The book is not that thick and the font is pretty big. But if you are aiming for the whole series, that could take you awhile.

In my opinion Harry Potter was given to much credit, for a boy with glasses and a magic wand. Lemony Snicket begains his chapters with definitions, I enjoyed reading these, but if you dont they can easily be skipped. I wouldnt let them put you of the book, and they make a very gripping read, though the movie unfortunatly doesn't compare.

i've read 9 and i liked everyone of them.Lemony Snicket keeps me in suspence. i think you should read em.

I know this is the children's section and a lot of you young readers visit here, but I wanted to have a word with some of the grown ups who may read this section, too.

My daughter and I have spent the summer reading this series and if you have the opportunity to do so I recommend it. They are great read-together books. My daughter's vocabulary has expanded tremendously (and I'll confess I learned a couple of new words too) and she really identifies with the characters. But what makes this such a fun series to read with the kids are the myriad of references to other famous works. How many children's books have you read that pay a small homage to Thomas Pynchon or that bring to mind "Pale Fire" while still keeping the kids interested? As part of our reading, I've taken to explaining to my daughter whenever I spot a reference such as Sunny describing a character of undetermined gender as "Orlando" or how the tale of the good submarine "queequeg" calls to mind both the character from Moby Dick and "Captain Queeg" from "The Caine Mutiny."

A few of the author's narrative devices may become tiresome along the way, even my daughter noticed that, but I've found the experience one that's made for some great "quality time" and a wonderful opportunity to welcome my daughter into the world of people who love books and love reading.

I have just bought the first 3 books in one!! (£7.00 in Asda).

I haven't started them as yet, because i am still finishing The Lord of the Rings at the moment. Mainly i bought it because i fancy something light, and amusing after reading LOTR!!

How old is your daughter Irene?
My eldest daughter is 4 and is looking forward to me reading Harry Potter to her (as am i) but i think she is still too young at the moment!!
We are currently enjoying Roald Dahl, which is feel is large enough for her!!

I am pleased to see so many adults recommending these books too!!
Hopefully i will be ready to start them in the next couple of weeks!! Still go Return of the King to go first!! :p

My daughter is 9, and the last two Harry Potters (Order of the Phoenix and the new one) are too dark for her, but she did enjoy the first three. Her other favorite book is Cornelia Funke's "Dragon Rider."

These books are very light reading compared to TLOTR. :)

Sound like just the thing for me!! :)

I haven't watched any of the films for LOTR yet, on purpose, because i really wanted to read the books. Will get to watch the movies now too.

I didn't think much of the film version of Unfortunate Series, It was alright, but i did expect better!! Hope the books don't disappoint!

Snowwhite said:
Sound like just the thing for me!! :)

I haven't watched any of the films for LOTR yet, on purpose, because i really wanted to read the books. Will get to watch the movies now too.

I didn't think much of the film version of Unfortunate Series, It was alright, but i did expect better!! Hope the books don't disappoint!

The books have the tremendous advantage of not having Jim Carrey in them. :p

Back