• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lian Hearn: Tales of the Otori

Ben Holiday

I just finished the first two books of this trilogy last night and have to admit I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the third book to be released and praying that it is written as well as the first two. The first book Across The Nightingale Floor introduces you to the main characters Takeo and Kaede. The second book Grass For His Pillow follows them down their seperate paths and tells how they've coped since the ending of the first book.

Heh, don't think I gave anything away storywise above but heres the basic setup it is a fantasy set in feudal Japan and that's all I'll say for more info read the excerpts from the dust jacket at one of the various book sites. :D

I haven't read the first one, but I'm currently(and slowly) working my way through the second one(I have a habit of reading books in the wrong order). So far I really like it, I'm thinking of asking the bookstore to order the first for me.

I've only read the first one. Was waiting for the second one to come out in the smaller paperback version, which it finally has, only they've changed the fecking cover. Why do they do they? In the middle of a series? And I don't like the new cover. I might wait a bit longer and see if they change it again. I know it sounds a bit shallow, but it's got this big face on it, and I find it off-putting to have my books stare at me.

I've read Nightingale. It wasn't bad, though it didn't really stand out as more than a simple revenge story for me.

Why do they do they? In the middle of a series?

I was wondering that as well. It's one thing to change the covers a little after the series is finished, but in the middle of a series :mad: I guess it's a marketing ploy to get you to but the first few books again so it all looks nice on the bookshelf

I read Across the Nightingale Floor and really enjoyed it, against my expectations. I recently bought the second (in a pack with the first, for £4.99! Bargain!) and I'll be reading it as soon as I've finished writing half a dozen tedious job applications :rolleyes:

Ive recently finished this series and really enjoyed the first two books :D But wondered what happened with the third :confused:

What did everyone else think?

I loved all three books - they were fascinating and a great read. I cared deeply for the characters, especially Kaede, and felt so sorry for all the people unable to behave how they wanted, or marry the person they loved, because of the rigid conventions of the time. Even though I wanted to see what happened with Takeo's son, I think the series was ended in the right place.
I was just glad that Takeo and Kaede finally got together properly and lived "happily ever after", as I was convinced one or both of them was going to die in the final book.

Back